A Different Rib Question

Bill Pearson

TVWBB Super Fan
I know, I know, but it is for the wife. After trying various rubs
(High sugar, low sugar no sugar)and various temperatures (between 225 and 260)I still can't get my ribs (Loin Backs)to turn out "like the ones on the competition shows", as my wife puts it. She wants that nice red coloring not the dark bark color. About the only thing I haven't tried yet is "foiling" simply because we both like the texture of the meat I get now. Any suggestions befor I go down the foiling path?

What kind of smoke wood are you using?

I always used cherry and the ribs were dark. Then I went with hickory and the color was more the pleasing mahogany red (or should that be "hickory" red
icon_biggrin.gif
)

Otherwise, cook 'em 'til the color is right (about 3-3 1/2 hours), then foil for 45 min - 1 hour or so, then back out of the foil 'til they're done.

For a nice cherry red color, try Danny Gaulden's Rib Glaze. Danny is a legend in the BBQ world, and is absolutely great about teaching people what he does. His glaze is outstanding, as are most all of his other recipes as well.

Just for fun, I did add the recipe HERE. It makes a great glaze, Bill, and it should do just what it sounds like you're wanting. I use it often for just that purpose

Keri C

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, guys!

John, I use apple and Hickory normally, but the last time it was strictly maple. I have never noticed a difference in color vs what wood I was using.

Thanks Keri for the recipes, I will try his rub and glaze next time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Pearson:
She wants that nice red coloring not the dark bark color. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try a 2/3 mix of cranberry juice with 1/3 olive oil from a spray/mist bottle to bring out the 'red'. Pic's of the results can be seen here, courtesy of Professor Gary.
icon_smile.gif

Back