A different "knives" question...

I'm glad I steered clear of this knife fight. This is much like telling someone what make and model of vehicle to buy. There are just too many choices and preferences for someone to make the decision for someone else.

I've found that the commercial cutlery sold at Sam's Club is a good value. No one will mistake these for something by Ken Onion, but they are good for getting a feel for your knife preferences and the blades hold a good edge. I have no fear of abusing them, either.

I checked the pricing and you can walk away with 2 Santukos or Chef's, 2 boning/utility, and 4 paring knives for about $40.

I don't consider this thread a fight. Rather, it's informational and hope that I provided some websites for further pondering.

If anyone wants to know what distinguishes old carbon steel from the new stuff that sharpens poorly, let me know.

Duncan, I think you answered your own question; the knives you have listed would be a great starting point for anyone. I have all the ones you have listed and I use my chefs knife more than anyone you have listed but I think it is all personal preference what feels good in your hand and what you feel comfortable working with. I also have a vegetable knife from Cutco that I absolutely love expensive but worth it IMO.

tjkoko, carbon content

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tjkoko:
The best knife in the world is the one that does the most work for you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, just like the best airplane in the world is the one that keeps you in the air.
icon_rolleyes.gif

My .02...I've used cheap knives, great knives, and "in between" knives. I think the "best knife in the world" is the knife that keeps it's edge after a lot of use, can be put in a dishwasher, feels good in my hand, and doesn't require a graduate student to sharpen it or expound on its features. That's about all.
icon_smile.gif

Phil, I have had similar experiences with knives. Some cheap ones, mid priced ones and a couple better knives. For many years I had the same philosophy as yours...toss'em in the dishwasher. In the last year, I began to pay more attention to others here who have a passion for their knives. I did something radical. I sharpened all my knives as best I could and vowed to NOT put them in the dishwasher again. Something wonderful happened-nothing. They stayed sharp. I repeat they seem to leep their edge much longer. Sure this is just anechdotal but I believe if you try it you'll see a real difference. Just my 2 cents from somebody learning.

The spray of a dishwasher can have a mild abrasive effect on things. And some knife handles won't stand up to the rigors of dishwashers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tjkoko:
The spray of a dishwasher can have a mild abrasive effect on things. And some knife handles won't stand up to the rigors of dishwashers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Nor will blades if they get banged by other objects. The sharpened edge is very thin and thus brittle.

Just like most chefs and sensible cooks/foodies would do. Anyone throwing my knives into the sink wins an automatic all expense paid trip out the door - propelled by the tip of my foot.

You should have seen the fear on my husband's face when I bellowed at him as he started to use the end of my Mac Santoku to stick under a stuck jar lid to try to open it.
icon_mad.gif

I own very expensive axes costing up to $300 (three hundred dollars) and I never lend them to anyone. If ya' gotta' borrow a cutting tool, ya' probably don't know how to use it. If ya' did know, you'd already carry it with you.

Like you, I learned the hard way.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keri C:
You should have seen the fear on my husband's face when I bellowed at him as he started to use the end of my Mac Santoku to stick under a stuck jar lid to try to open it.
icon_mad.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rita,

You just crack me up!
icon_smile.gif

My carbon steel knives are all classified as 1095 carbon steel. 0.95% carbon. Read about them 1095 Carbon steel.

The 10-series
1095 (and 1084, 1070, 1060, 1050, etc.) Many of the 10-series steels for cutlery, though 1095 is the most popular for knives. When you go in order from 1095-1050, you generally go from more carbon to less, from more wear resistance to less wear resistance, and tough to tougher to toughest. As such, you'll see 1060 and 1050, used often for swords. For knives, 1095 is sort of the "standard" carbon steel, not too expensive and performs well. It is reasonably tough and holds an edge well, and is easy to sharpen. It rusts easily. This is a simple steel, which contains only two alloying elements: .95% carbon and .4% manganese. The various Kabars are usually 1095 with a black coating.

Back