A couple Pork Butt Questions

Steve Mayer

TVWBB Fan
I'll be putting 4 butts on later tonight. They have a combined weight of 26#. I'm taking two to a party tomorrow about an hour away and freezing the rest. A few questions:

- Does anyone add rub or lightly sauce the pulled meat?

- I'm planning on pulling the butts at 190 and holding in a cooler wrapped.Is 190 high enough?

- Any tips on transporting the meat?

Thanks!

Steve

Well I usually let folks sauce their own PP, though frequently I'll have a bottle of sauce, wonder bread and a bowl of PP for them to work with.

And no problems on it being an hour away, once they're at temp, wrap them up in foil (2x) and a towel, put them in a cooler to keep warm, and drive on over.

Steve,

Yes, I highly recommend a very light dusting of rub as you pull. The bark typically has great flavor, but the inside could use a little help.

As for holding, 190* is great. You could drive a long way (3-5 hours easily) if properly held. I preheat my cooler with a bowl (about four cups) of boiling water sitting on a folded towel for about 20 minutes. Just wrap the butts tightly in plastic wrap, two layers of HD foil and an old towel or two. For added insurance dump the water you used for preheating right over the towels and drain the excess.

Cheers,
John

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Mayer:
I'll be putting 4 butts on later tonight. They have a combined weight of 26#. I'm taking two to a party tomorrow about an hour away and freezing the rest. A few questions:

- Does anyone add rub or lightly sauce the pulled meat?

- I'm planning on pulling the butts at 190 and holding in a cooler wrapped.Is 190 high enough?

- Any tips on transporting the meat?

Thanks!

Steve </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Butts will pull at 190*, but they'll pull a little easier at 195*, either will work. I also add rub to my pulled pork after pulling and leave the saucing up to the consumers! Good luck!

Back