A couple new variables this time, questions.

Brandon A

TVWBB All-Star
Tonight I am doing a 15lb packer brisket over beans (last 6 hours), over night cook. BUT, this will be the first time adding two new variables. One is lump charcoal, Ive used it for grilling before but this will be my first time out smoking with it. Two, and my biggest concern, is that early in the morning I will be adding the beans, in a 6qt cast iron dutch oven. I'm worried that the addition of this huge heat sink is going to really mess up my temps, especially so late in the cook. I'm goin to make sure and pack the ring as tight as I can with the lump and stack it as high as I can to get the longest burn possible. Beyond that does anyone have any suggestions?

Brandon

Adding the mass of the beans plus opening the WSM will drop the temp, so just give yourself extra time. If the brisket is done early you can always foil it and put it into a pre-heated, dry cooler with some towels or newspaper to keep it hot until serving time.

I'll echo Ron and add: Heat the beans first--before putting them in the cooker. This minimizes the heat sink issue and, food safety-wise, is much safer for the beans.

the lump will also be great if packed, even just a bit packed holds up well for me, I followed many peoples suggestions of lump on the site and it is all true for me as well, i'm a big fan of all brand names in my area, but "Royal Oak" price and quality make the most since, with "Lazzari" running close second esp. if you enjoy misquite lump. (only for my area, for me, in CO.) have a good cook also.

Back