A couple brisket questions.

Jim Piesik

TVWBB Fan
I have tried cooking brisket before with mixed success. I have two questions.

1.I never rely on meat temps for determining doneness. But at what temp should I really start to check the meat for its consistency.

2.How often from that point should I be checking the meat.

Thanks Jim

Jim--

For less lean cuts I check at 182-183 and, if I don't get a sense of how much time I'm looking at from how it feels, then 2 degrees after that.

For a better quality (less lean) cut I check at 185-187 then, if needed, 3 up from there.

Note: I don't cook over-trimmed flats at all.

Thanks kevin

I think that confirms what I suspected, Id check the meat at 180 and then about every 7 degrees there after. I wasnt rechecking often enough and missing that narrow window of oppertunity.

I have only cooked whole untrimed briskets with a 1/2" fat cap on the flat.The one I ruined I could only use the part of the flat near the point. Even the ones that turned out better I still had to cut off and discard at least some of the end of the flat.Havent got it right yet. But Im going to keep at it.
Thanks again.
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> cut off and discard at least some of the end of the flat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Try for as even a thickness at purchase as you can get--I know, not always possible. The briskets that taper and get thin at the end will nearly always overcook at the thinner end. Keep pluggin'!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The briskets that taper and get thin at the end will nearly always overcook at the thinner end. Keep pluggin'! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would it be possible to cut half way through part way down the taper, fold the end under to make an even thickness and secure with cocktail sticks to make a more even cook?

Just an idea / question...

Andrew

Back