A confession from a HeaterMeter user

Jarrod Igou

TVWBB Member
Y'all have made me a lazy BBQ'r.

I fill my charcoal ring with charcoal. I stick a fire lighter cube (any of that sort of thing will work) down along the side of the charcoal ring near the fan. Light it, put the smoker together, crank up the HeaterMeter and walk away.

Come back 30 minutes later, it's pretty much up to temp. Put meat on. Wander away.

Come back later (actual value of "later" depends on meat being cooked of course) and enjoy delicious BBQ.

Water pan is a piedmont pan with a layer of foil draped across the top of it to catch drippings....so no water to encourage fuzziness inside the smoker between cooks. ;)

HUGE thank you to everyone involved in this - especially you, Bryan!!!

I hear ya man, I've gotten to be the same way. It takes very little of my time or attention to get my smoker in the zone and maintain it. I should confess myself that when I first got my FauxMado grill I had a few episodes where I walked away and things got out of control, taking for granted how well the HM controls my smoker. It took a little while, but I eventually got the FauxMado under control and now it behaves well enough for me to ignore it too, thanks to the servo damper valve....
Hat's off to Bryan for all of his hard work...

Yeah me too! Sometimes I forget about it completely because I forgot to turn the alarm on. "Oh golly the pork! Oh welp looks like it is almost done, everything is fine". The rest of the time I sit there and watch every tick of temperature change and try to determine if I should adjust my PID constants slightly.

I like that piedmont pan. I usually use a disposable aluminum ... food thingie and try to keep some water in it to prevent any drippings from burning. I'll have to try using two with a spacer in between and see how that goes. Thanks for the tip!

I haven't gotten lazy yet (only a few weeks of use).. But:

My wife and family have been making fun of me for my test cooks with no meat

They are getting tired of me showing how I can control my cooks via the web / iPhone.

I'm borderline obsessive compulsive watching temps and the PID settings.

I have done one cook (pork loins) which was fantastic. Still couldn't keep my eyes off the graphs!

I'm waiting on my parts (Mouser has them backordered) but as a data geek, I cannot wait to get this puppy up and running!

Back