A Christmas Fresh Ham in 3 Acts

Pete Z

TVWBB Super Fan
Act 1: Aquiring the ham...
I went by Publix on Saturday morning and they had a fresh ham. I did not buy it then because I needed to check on our anticipated menus for the week. I went back in the afternoon and it was gone. The meat man (he had a hairnet) said that they never had such a thing and implied that I was imagining things - he directed me to the cured hams. What I want, I said, is similiar to this picnic (slap the picnic sitting in the case), but it is the back leg instead of the front. OK, well, check back tomorrow... Anyway, I bought an 18 pounder at Bi-Lo instead.

Act 2: Prepare the ham.
I left the skin and fat on the ham and carved a Christmas design on it (see picture). I brined the ham for 3 days using a recipe from an old Kevin Kruger post: mix of 3 qts water, 3 cups apple juice, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup kosher salt, a few dozen whole cloves, and 1-2 tsps of freshly grated nutmeg.

Rub was from the same Kruger post: 1/2 cup Tabasco, 2 Tblsp minced fresh garlic (I substituted granulated because I didn't realize that we were out of fresh), 2 Tbls each of cumin and coriander, 2 teaspoons each of allspice and ginger, and 1 1/2 Tbls each of kosher salt, freshly ground white pepper, and brown sugar.

I then cooked at 350 for around 6 hours until the internal was around 155-160. My thermometer is slow and I don't usually let it stabilize all the way. Wood was pecan.

Act 3: Eat the ham.
I enjoyed the rub, but my family found it to be hotter than their normal tolerance. The ham was delicious. A couple of things that I would do differently:
1) get rid of the skin and fat before cooking. I snacked on some delicious skin w/ fat, but I couldn't interest very many others to share in my gluttony. The best pieces of meat, IMO, were the pieces that had rub applied directly on the meat.
2) I will use hickory next time. Somehow I ran out of hickory and had a bunch of pecan. Not that there is a huge difference, I know.

Here are some ]pictures

Wow, beautiful pictures! That looked so incredible!
Thanks for sharing the pics.
(Beautiful view from your deck too)

Pete,

Good lookin pig leg there. I found when making my hams that I also prefered them skinless and with less fat.

I haven't cooked a fresh ham just the few that I have cured. How would you describe the actually porkiness of the fresh ham compared to other uncured smoked porky goodness such as pulled pork butt?

Of the 3 acts, which was the hardest?
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Josh

The ham was juicy and delicious - a nice change from pulled pork all of the time. I can't really compare it to pulled pork in taste - it's more like roast pork loin or chops, i think. I've never sliced a butt. I would have liked it smokier, but other people liked the amount of smoke. When I unfreeze it next time I'll probably think that it is plenty smokey. That's how it gerally goes for me.

Act 1 was the most aggravating, but most of the work was in Act 2.

Back