A challenge for J. Beisinger.........Okonomiyaki

the place is called Haru Hana. We thought the food was pretty good but the yelp reviews are hit or miss. I have no idea where else you can get okonomiyaki though...

That looks really good! I may start looking for a place that makes it in my area. I think it's a good idea to try it someplace like you did and get an idea what it should taste like. I'm glad to hear you liked it. It seems like it would be good with eel sauce.

Even in L.A. with a large Japanese community there are only a few okonomiyakiyas.
I've been to this place called Gaja a few times. Each table is equipped with a grill (similar to a Korean bbq joint) and depending on which okonomiyaki you ordered they bring you all the raw ingredients and you cook it yourself. Upon request the wait staff will assist you or you can order the whole pie prepared in the kitchen.
Their menu is quite extensive with dozens of different kinds of okonomiyakis.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/gaja-j...se-restaurant-lomita

My teenagers make okonomiyaki for lunch all the time in the summer. We buy the flour/mix at the asian market along with kewpie mayo and the sauce. The bonito flakes to top it off are a must. chop a little cabbage and add some shrimp or pork if you like.

http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com...-ko-seasoning-powder

The mix has yam flour in it as well as regular flour. The trick is not to make it too thick.

Looking forward to it myself, looks like a really tasty dish. And with the right tutelage
icon_wink.gif
, maybe not to difficult.

I remember when having Okonomiyaki at a restaurant for the first time in Victoria after having it in Japan.

None of the existing Japanese restaurants were making it. I was friends with one of the owners and asked him about it. Too much work since none of the customers knew about it. Their lunch and dinner trade was based on other dishes.

So the time came when a couple moved from Japan that had some connections with a friend of ours. They started 2 businesses in one location - upstairs was the acupuncture clinic and downstairs was the restaurant. Yes they had separate entrances !

His small restaurant did pretty well, and they would do Okonomiyaki ! I had it there a couple times, it was more towards the Osaka style, but loaded with Mayo. Too much for me !

So if I were to give one piece of advice to our Okonomiyaki cooks here, it's go easy on the mayo !

Originally posted by Gary H. NJ:
I've never had okonomiyaki, but I've had something similar at a Korean restaurant in Rhode Island . It's a must have every time I'm in town.

Gary, Are you talking about the Korean pancakes which are a staple of Korean cooking. My wife( Korean) and I go to this one here local all the time; http://www.riversidekoreanrestaurant.com/. If you are ever in NKY check it out.

Kevin

Edit my mistake Okonomiyaki is much different than Korean pancakes I have had both but it been years and forgot till i saw the video. I am sorry jumped in to soon should have read more. Will have to get my wife and I to try make these.

My fiancee and I make this all the time. It's pretty easy if you have access to the ingredients. It's actually pretty healthy if you dont load up on sauce. The best part is when you put the bonito flakes on the hot surface and they "move." Most of the ingredients are actually shelf stable. I can put together a package of the hard to get ingredient for some of you guys if you like, you will need to find the "yam" to thicken the batter. The rest of the fresh ingredients can be found in the regular super market.

I like to add some spicy stuff in mine like cayenne or red pepper flakes. Noodles are good too.

Gaja in Torrance CA was my first okonomeyaki experience 5 years ago:
322_523730477768_9720_n.jpg

The the ingredients come in a big bowl to mix in the batter:
322_523730457808_7935_n.jpg

This is the osaka style. The other style is softer, kinda like gooey mozzarella but still very savory. Sorry, no pics of that one.

What is this? "yams" like sweet potatoes?

Using Traditional Nagaimo or Yamaimo
- For the Grated Yam, you must use Chinese or Japanese mountain yam (Nagaimo or Yamaimo) and use at least 1/4 Cup (60ml).
- The recipe using Nagaimo is the most authentic Okonomi-Yaki receipe, but it's faster and easier to use the packaged Okonomiyaki
flours, which also usually have added flavors.

Read more: http://okonomiyakiworld.com/be...e.html#ixzz1yLMx0sxL

Thanks, was curious as that Food52 street food recipe posted upthread didn't call for any yams. I'll keep an eye out for them next time I go to the asian supermarket.

Back