A Butt Rub (for Jane)

Moritas are chipotles as well. Both will lend heat and a smoky flavor. YOu may wish to ease up on the smokewood a bit, and to use the same wood as was used to smoke the chilies (likely pecan) or a complementary wood (like a mild fruit wood). Moritas have a somewhat sweeter finish than chipotles mecos, the usually larger, brown chipotle.

Kevin. I used your rub yesterday on a couple of HH butts and fatties. Way over the top on the flavor, I will def make this again.
Thank's
Tim

As always, I do not include salt in my rub mixtures.

I prefer to apply a nice even amount of Kosher salt to my meat, wait several minutes for the surface of the meat to become moist (often I salt first, then mix the rub while the meat sits), then apply the rub generously.

Kevin, Just a quick question for you on your salt method. After letting the salt sit on the meat for several minutes, do you wipe it off and then put the dry rub on, or do you keep the salt on and add the rub on top of the salt layer? either way this is something I am going to try.

Yes. The salt is applied to both salt the meat and to draw moisture to the surface. The moisture allows the rub to stick. Doing it this way means you can apply as much or as little rub as you want (for butts I apply the rub, wait again, then apply more, usually) without worrying about the salt level since the salt is not in the rub.

Short answer
icon_smile.gif
: it stays on.

Kevin or Jane, two questions:

Would you use this rub over mustard (plain yellow)?

Since mustard has salt (and since no need to draw moisture to help rub stick) would you omit salting the meat before the mustard and then Rub?

Bonus question
icon_smile.gif
: If I replace the Hot New Mex chile with regular new mex chile I'm assuming I'll achieve a similar flavor but less heat?

Would I? No. But, one, I don't use yellow mustard for anything and two, I don't see the point of bothering with applying mustard to the meat because I don't see any germane reason for doing so.

That said, you certainly could. I'd likely still salt the meat at least somewhat, but would probably just apply a little salt after applying the mustard at the same time I applied the rub. You could skip the salt addition, though, if you'd prefer.

Yes, if you replace the hotter NM chile with a milder NM chile the flavor profile will be pretty much the same, just less hot.

Thanks for the feedback. To be honest the only reason I was considering the mustard application was because Chris had it listed as one of several ways to make pulled pork. I've never tried so I tend to be sort of a try it and see for myself kind of person.

Jane's Rub will be used next weekend. Undecided on the mustard app. I've adopted the salt the meat, not the rub approach.

If you've not done the mustard thing you can certainly give it a try. It is mostly used to hold on the rub, not something I find necessary since I do the salt-first thing, but you could try it and see what you think.

I'm doing two next weekend so I will use mustard on one and salt the other and then apply Jane's rub to both. Theoritically there should be no difference b/c "everyone" says you can't taste the mustard. If that is true, then might as well use salt to draw moisture to hold the rub. If it isn't true, then i'll find out whether or not I like the taste mustard adds.

I'll post what happens in case someone cares.

EDIT: True blind taste test - by the time I had rested the butts and then pulled them, I forgot which was the mustard rubbed. Didn't matter, couldn't tell the difference. Jane's Butt Rub tasted great in the bark. I guess I can use the mustard application the next time I'm feeling Bluto'ish (Animal House reference for those old enough).

Mixed up the rub last night and it is by far the best rub (pre-cook) I've ever tasted. Nice blend of sweet and savory with a little heat at the end (I used regular New Mex chili not hot). No paprika - great! Not overwhelmed by black pepper.

I much appreciate the recipe Kevin. I can see adding some salt to the mix and using the "w/ salt" version as a seasoning salt.

i did 2 8 lb butts last night.went the janes rub route and wow very tasty. used the last of my chimayo nm red. was kinda leary of using of marjarom thyme allspice and ginger but thats the best results ive ever had. thanks for that fantastic rub kevin

Last edited:
I've got 2 9lb pork shoulder roasts resting in the fridge with this rub right now, and plan to fire up the smoker in the morning. The aroma is out of this world! My son made the rub while I salted the meat and both our mouths are just watering with anticipation. I'll do one as is and the other in a pan with some sauerkraut. Tomorrows dinner is way to far away!

edit: the only slight change I made was the hot New Mexico chili powder. I had some chili powder, but not enough, so to make up the difference I added some of my home made chili powder (quite hot) and some chipotle powder to make up the difference.

I hope you enjoy it Trev, and I'm glad you enjoyed it Tim. Nice looking pork in your pic.

Made this today...outstanding rub. The cinnamon and allspice work so well with the chili powders. Have not made butts in quite awhile, despite a 6 degree day, the WSM worked like a champ with a 10 hour cook on a full packed ring of lump.

This also added to the #5 sauce which my daughter begs for gave it a wonderful aroma and flavor. Thanks Kevin.

It's funny, this was originally posted in '05, the next action on it was in '08. Now, it's going like crazy. Don't know why it was dormant for so long.

Kevin,
Do you get your NM chili powder or grind your own? I had NM chilies on hand but they were not labeled hot or mild...I bet they were mild because the rub was not very spicy, I added a bit of aleppo...perhaps next time some chipolte powder - I have lots of that, I ordered 4 oz and they sent 8 oz...I hate it whan that happens
icon_biggrin.gif

I had some ground NM given to me a while back so while I had that I used it. Normally I grind myself. For specific varieties/heat levels, try here. They also have flakes and ground.

Thanks Kevin,
This is the place that sent me double the amount of chipolte powder, I will definately give them more business.

Back