A better way to light off your Chimney

Originally posted by Karl:
I take a paper towel, wipe off some of the grease from the top layer of foil over the (empty) water pan (and I throw out that foil and put on a new clean layer), and use that as a chimney starter.

I now claim my place as (cue Keith Olbermann voice) "Laziest person in the world!".

I followed your technique Karl and it worked great! Do I get to join your lazy cult?

I used newspaper for the longest time. Simply because I never even thought to use anything else.

Now I use the weber starter cubes. 24 for $3.50. So simple, no mess or anything.

Or the oldest, simplest fire starting method that I can think of is a cotton ball with a smear of Vaseline.

Cheap. Simple.

Or the weber cubes.
icon_smile.gif

I ususally break off a small chunk of duraflame's fire starter logs. I also found in my local supermarket dirt cheap called Estonian Forest firestarters. Basically it's made like any generic firestarter - sawdust and paraffin, but is triangular with a match head. makes starting a chimney really easy!
icon_wink.gif

My opinions (since you didn't ask).

Newspaper: too dirty, awkward and leaves too much ash.

Other devices: too troublesome and awkward

Starter cubes: too expensive

Paper towel and oil: simple, fast, clean, hot and almost no ash left.

Paper towel and oil wins hands down.

Rich

I've only ever used the newspaper but I HATE the leftover ash. I tried the paper towel with Pam spray on it once but it didn't really work. Maybe I sprayed too much. I'll try it again and report back.

Thanks for the ideas

Hey Tim, I keep a big bottle of cheap veggie oil that I get from SAM's by the grills to use on the grats and I actually spray down my smoker with it every couple of months. I just wad up the paper towel and give it 2 -3 schugs of oil. it's not dripping wet, but pretty moist with oil. That should do you. I've done more, but I find no benefit to using more than one paper towel since it works just fine. I've lit lump and briquettes with equal results.

Originally posted by Brian Moriarty:
Harbor Freight propane torch/weed burner with Piezo starter!
We don't need no stinkin' chimney!

I used newspaper for years, but it does make a mess. I then moved to the propane torch which worked pretty good. But now I use the HF weed burner with a chimney. For me the chimney still works fastest when lit with a rocket engine! And I think the chimney transmits the heat really well.

2 pieces of paper towel with about a quarter teaspoon of oil and walah.
works everytime. or just fire up the performer
icon_cool.gif

I'm a weed burner guy too. I use a pile of kingsford with some lump charcoal on top, and torch it for a couple of minutes. It is ready to cook in 5-10 minutes. I leave the cooking grate on so that it heats while I light the coals too.

I used to use Newspaper, but like others have mentioned didnt like the ash. I use a paper towel and cooking oil now. I think I am going to run to Home depot and pick up a $1 sprayer to put oil in, so the oil doesnt leak and I can use it to spray the top surface too.

I'm new to grilling but I just received a new 22.5" OTG. I'm trying to find the most convenient starting method. After reading this thread I've narrowed it down to a few options:

1. Weber Chimney($17.50)+ paper towel/oil or Weber starter cube. This one is the simplest and cheapest option but is also the slowest. Looks like 10-20min.

2. Propane "Weed Burner" torch ($25 shipped + $30 propane tank ). This option will get coals hot in 2 minutes or less. Probably burns the most propane and is a little intimidating/dangerous.

3. Max BBQ Propane Chimney ($48 + propane bottles)
Max BBQ propane chimney
This one also doubles as a camp stove/side burner. It gets good reviews but I'm not sure if the chimney included is as good as a Weber chimney. I'm also not sure exactly how much faster this is than the newspaper/paper towel method.

Please let me know if there's anything else I should be considering and point me in the right direction if possible!

You can buy a coleman single burner camp stove for it instead. Since I don't have a chimney yet though, I might as well buy the BBQ Max package deal.

Back