9mm SS grates for E3xx grils for $61

So here is a question that I always have when I look at rod grates.....
The bottom cross rods at the near and far ends of the grates - I see some of them a good 1"+ in from the end, some less than that and some right at the edge that actually sit on the grate 'shelf'..... Where should it be? I know I've picked up at least one grill with the cross bars right at the edge and the grates would tend to 'fall into' the box - just NOT a stable setting for the grates. Wondering what is less stress for the weld joints between them all...... yeah, I know it won't matter for good 'quality' grates, but you won't know that for 5-10+ years. The same reasoning/concerns go for the C channel steel/SS grates.

So many of the ads on amazon have conflicting pics when you look at them....

So here is a question that I always have when I look at rod grates.....
The bottom cross rods at the near and far ends of the grates - I see some of them a good 1"+ in from the end, some less than that and some right at the edge that actually sit on the grate 'shelf'..... Where should it be? I know I've picked up at least one grill with the cross bars right at the edge and the grates would tend to 'fall into' the box - just NOT a stable setting for the grates. Wondering what is less stress for the weld joints between them all...... yeah, I know it won't matter for good 'quality' grates, but you won't know that for 5-10+ years. The same reasoning/concerns go for the C channel steel/SS grates.

So many of the ads on amazon have conflicting pics when you look at them....
Jim, I bought a pair each of two different sets of SS rod grates during Prime days. One of the brands had the cross member rods too far out towards the end. One of the cross members had to sit up on top of the shelf. If they had been 1/8" further in, they would have been fine. As long as that doesn't happen, I think any reasonable distance from the end is fine.

I think you can see what I mean here. The rear crossmember of these grates is actually up on the berm and the main rods are not touching the berm.

1723774319042.png

These are the other set of grates and you can see the difference

1723774375883.png

Jim, I bought a pair each of two different sets of SS rod grates during Prime days. One of the brands had the cross member rods too far out towards the end. One of the cross members had to sit up on top of the shelf. If they had been 1/8" further in, they would have been fine. As long as that doesn't happen, I think any reasonable distance from the end is fine.

I think you can see what I mean here. The rear crossmember of these grates is actually up on the berm and the main rods are not touching the berm.

View attachment 98134

These are the other set of grates and you can see the difference

View attachment 98135
Do you think it makes any real world functional difference?

Well...... check out this set of grates..... I haven't run across too many myself, but these were definitely 'wrong'....

20240815_194332.jpg

The lower rods actually sat on the ledge --- but it was at that just 1/4" too much/ not enuff that they would rock into the box.
It showed me something that I needed to 'worry' about --- but I'm thinking this is an anomaly..... a cheap crappy set.

I'm waiting for Mark to give them the real test....
I'd feel confident buying anything that passed his tests.

I like dropping my cooking grates flat on the concrete to cleen them off, none of my grate welds have ever broke yet.
I know you guys know what I'm talking about.
I wonder if these grates would hold up over time 🤔 using my same method ?
Wow..... thats a requirement I've never required from my grates......
You must have gone thru quite a few of them....?....?

Last edited:
I don't expect to use my Silver B until Labor Day weekend. The grates and flavorizer bars will look new until then. I assume I'll get some steaks done on it without much issue. Of course, I'll do a good burn-in before actually cooking on them. It will be interesting to see what difference, if any, I'll notice using these rod type grates vs. the former Weber stamped stainless grates. Has to be totally different heat retention from a solid 9mm bar to a stamped upside down U shape of thin steel.

Last edited:
I posted these a little while back in a different thread, I sent the link to my brother to get for his new project. Problem being I saw a summit at the grill graveyard so I scooped up another set of Weber 9mm grates.

Back