7 states....

JKalchik

TVWBB Emerald Member
70 hours, and almost 2,100 miles.

Backstory: There are 3 of us who've known each other for 40+ years, met in college. I shared an apartment with 1 of them for nearly 6 years. We've been through a lot. They've been there for my parents' funeral services (and my brother in law's,) we've been been here for another set of services for another one.

The 3rd lost his Dad a week ago. Something we all knew was coming, but that doesn't always help. Dude, just tell me when services are, and I'll be there. And let me know if there's anything at all I can do.

Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. I picked up the 3rd Musketeer in MI (hence the side trip,) we were in Erie, PA for only about 20 hours before rewinding. Yes, I waved in Kalamazoo, MI and Rockford, IL as I went through at warp speed.

We were asked several times why on earth would we make such a trip. "It's what we do." We all know that if we make the call that the other guys will do whatever they possibly can to help. And services aren't just for Dad, it's for our friend. His mother. His sisters. Their aunts & uncles. Everybody who's still here.

Would sure help if there were some bridges that went across Lake Michigan! I know every time we need to help get our grandson from here to MI to see his dad, drives me crazy I have to drive south to do it

Would sure help if there were some bridges that went across Lake Michigan! I know every time we need to help get our grandson from here to MI to see his dad, drives me crazy I have to drive south to do it
I gave some serious thought for the trip home to going north from Flint, MI over da Bridge and west across the Upper Peninsula. I do find that drive far more enjoyable as a rule, vs. the drive through/around Chicago and Indiana. That would have been at least another hour & a half, and nearly nothing in the middle of the night when I would have been going through. Chicago after midnight wasn't bad, just have to avoid the idiots in the exotics street racing on the freeways.

Buddy, you are doing what’s right! The services are not for the departed they are for the living, the show of support from friends is unbelievable. Should you ever have the time, don’t just wave, I’m a mile from I-94 (+/-) throw a stone and you could almost hit my house! Always welcome.

Back