6th Annual Lodi & Lake Wisconsin Brew-B-Que - September 28

Howdy Mike,

I was wondering about the turn in box. Do we need to buy some of the styro foam boxes prior to the competition or do you provide those? I have seen examples in this forum where it can go either way. Also, can I prep the ribs by removing the membrane and the packaging the night before (not rubbing the night before). I read the KCBS rules but again I saw examples online that seemed to differ. Thanks for the help.

Thanks,
Troy

Troy, the turn-in boxes will be provided for you. We'll distribute to teams in the morning. In terms of prep, I would recommend leaving the ribs in the original cryovac packaging. We'll have a meat inspector available early morning, as soon as meat is inspected you're good to go.

Mike

Congratulations to the winners of the 6th Annual Brew-B-Que
1st place - Smoking Croatians
2nd Place - Harmony BBQ
(2) People's Choice - It's the Pits, and Always Smoking Something

We had a great turnout, 14 teams and lots of hungry VIP's. Thanks to all the teams that participated, and to our judges.

Mike

Congrats to the Croatians and Mike P. Always a nice drive to Lodi, Main St was just as I remembered. Looked like a good time was had by all, may have to put this one on the list for 2014.

ML

Thanks Mike and Matt, we had a great day and were fortunate enough to take home a really nice trophy and a check. Got to see some old friends and make some new ones. A very well organized contest, lots of local support and close to home. Can't beat that!
Mike

Mike, I had a great time yesterday in my first competition. I was lucky to be set up next to the Smoking Croatians. I am happy they won, they are great people. Will you be posting the complete results of the comp? I would really like to see the judges comments on my cook.

Thanks Mike and Matt, we had a great day and were fortunate enough to take home a really nice trophy and a check. Got to see some old friends and make some new ones. A very well organized contest, lots of local support and close to home. Can't beat that!
Mike

Congrats!!!
My plan for the future is have my whole family participate in a comp. :wsm:

Howdy

Thanks for the update Mike. Croatian Smokers were excellent people and I appreciate how things were handled. We were already ecstatic about 3rd place. I just wanted to say that we will be back next year as well.

As a side note, we were first time bbq competitors ever, and found our best meat to come from a mini-weber smoker (converted smokey joe) thanks only to this website. It is great when you can build something so easy and get such great results. Thanks to everyone on this website. I am now officially hooked and, now, also freaking out about how to replicate our results.

Thanks for the impending conundrums.

Troy
BBBQ

I need to update the "winners" for the 6th Annual Brew-B-Que. Yours truly made a mistake on the results spreadsheet, and after reviewing the numbers these are the results:

1st Place - Harmony BBQ, Mike Plunkett
2nd Place - BBBQ, Troy Balling

A big congratulations to both Mike and Troy!

Please do not let this reflect on the Lodi Chamber, I made the mistake but felt it would be a greater mistake to not resolve. I spoke with Dave of Smokin' Croatians, he and his wife have been very gracious about this situation... I'm not sure how I would respond in a similar situation. We're very proud of this event, and have worked hard to gain the trust of the teams. We're putting additional checks in place to ensure this is a one-time occurrence.

Mike

Back