6lb Pork Shoulder x 4 !!!

Steve S.

Hi All,

Wanted to run some plans for smoking 4 pork shoulders tomorrow. Each one is around 6 pounds and the picnic has been tied to the butt to make it manageable.

Trying the mustard rub, then planning on targeting 190degrees by using the math for one shoulder - 1.5 hours of smoke time per pound then around .5 hour a pound for rest. Planning on smoking around 225-250.

So that would be around 9 hours in the pit with a 3 hour rest.

This is our first pork shoulder smoke, so wanted to see if this sounds about right.

Looking forward to hearing back
icon_smile.gif

When i am smoking pork I always give myself 12 hours. If it is done early then it will best well in a cooler, but there is nothing worse that you party having to wait because the food isnt done. Just my opinion.

Thanks Jason.

The math puts our plan at 12 hours of time from pit to plate.

The plan is to put the meat into a 250degree pit at 6am. Dinner is at 6pm.

Sounds like we're on track!

Don't cook to time, cook to doneness.
No offense, but that was my biggest mistake when I first started.
I would do all these fancy calculations and back-timing to be sure that I got it done by Dinner time.
Then I would run into a stubborn cut of meat, and all my plans went down the drain.
Get a good internal thermometer, start poking a meat fork into those butts at 190° internal, and when that fork goes into several places with NO resistence, they're done.

You must make sure that they are absolutely, positively, without a doubt, done.
icon_smile.gif

Good Luck.

Go for 250 minimum temp, no benefit of less! You may have a slow come up to temp with that much cold meat. That will be what determines the done time. As Charles said go for tender in more than 1 place it will be at least 185+ for this. Once you are 4 hrs from serving time check your internal, if less than 180 bump your temps to 275-300ish to break the stall. It will not hurt the butts!

Hope it goes well
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I actually take my butts/shoulders up to about 200 and always tie them up with kitchen twine. I have found that they cook more evenly doing this and their is very little fat left when I pull them.

Back