60 briskets over the weekend! w/ pics

Paul K

TVWBB Guru
I think there's an old joke out there that goes something like "I just smoked 60 briskets and boy are my arms tired..." Cue rim shot. But seriously folks, I actually got to smoke 60 briskets for a fund raiser. Started at 8:00AM Saturday and pulled them off around 10:00 pm. Held them in large coolers until the next morning when we wrapped them for sale. We had to use a mobile smoker which held 24 and our regular pit holds 38. They averaged about 11 lbs ea. It was a lot of fun and we sold them all by 11:00 AM on Sunday.

A shot of both pits

Briskets in the big stone pit

Mobile smoker
The mobile smoker, courtesy of the Boy Scouts

Big Carl moving them briskets

No, the pit was there before me. A former member of our group built it. It gets a lot of use. We frequently do 80 whole chickens at a time.

That is one huge setup - I thought cooking with 2 WSM was a good safety net. You know just in case one brisket gets messed up.

You on the other hand plan for a lot of mistakes.

JK - That is a great idea for a fund raiser.

I think we all know where the beef is now.
icon_wink.gif

So it wasn't my imagination that there was a mouthwatering aroma in the Round Rock air last weekend! Now I know why!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Paul

I inherited a pit like that, I think ... it came with a lakehouse I bought in SC. Actually it had been used by the man that built the cottage, 40 years ago to cook whole hogs. I've been debating what to do with it.

Is the stone pit open, or does it have some type of lid to hold the heat in ? Mine is open.

Paul

"No U.S. submarines were hurt or used during the smoking of these briskets". Hey, I'm in Texas, we've got access to surplus oil field tanks, pipes and other stuff. To the best of my knowledge, that's where this smoker came from. Mike, next time you smell the enticing aroma, swing on by... And we didn't slice any of it. We sold them whole; a lot easier. The pit is divided by 3 steel lids over the smoking area plus one over the fire box, so you can open each area individually. There's rumors of demolishing it due to a need of expansion at the church where it resides. I expect prayer vigiles to start any day; this would be sacriledge, unless we got to build a bigger one
icon_biggrin.gif
!

Back