6 ribs, 6 rubs shootout

Pat;

The 'Southern' rub was the winner, but only because it's a chili-like rub, and the rest of the rubs contained brown sugar (which burnt on the outside.)

Not really a fair comparison
icon_smile.gif

I do find that the ends nearest the edge of the WSM get toasty, so I try to switch them around a bit during the cook.

I can't go out defeated though, so I've got another rack on. It's the Southern rub again, and I'm trying a higher-heat, shorter-time cook. Smoker's at 275. I'm running an empty water-pan, aside from whatever was leftover from last night. (drippings mostly.)

Fingers crossed
icon_smile.gif

Success!
These is my best rack yet.

T5JeO.jpg

3p3Mm.jpg

I stayed around 275 for the cook to the best of my ability.

Two hours, then spray and foil
One hour, then unfoil, sauce and spray
Twenty minutes, sauce/spray/serve

I don't usually sauce, but the wife was getting tired of seeing ribs so I needed to show up with a tasty set this time ..

The sauce was number five with a lime zest and an ounce of brisket drips. Spray was just applejuice.

It worked!
icon_razz.gif

Originally posted by Blake C:
ruined. overcooked.
Was this your observation or did your guests agree? I've found that the biggest critic is always the one doing the cooking. They look great to me but I'm the worlds worst rib cooker (back to that "the biggest critic is always the one doing the cooking" theory - my wife thinks they are great). Your second effort looks off-the-charts! Great job and great thread!!

Don;

I think we were in agreement - they were all too kind about it but the ribs were legitimately overcooked. Ends were crunchy, and the meat shredded instead of sliced, etc.

Thanks for the kind words, I'm really happy with this last rack. Feels like I've finally found what I've been missing!

I wish I could rename the thread, it's embarrassing knowing passers-by will open the it expecting a good comparison only to find my charred rib-bones :p

They all tasted pretty much the same -- like carbon! LOL

I'll try again sometime.

Those last ribs looks perfect!

Glad it worked out in the end.

You posted while i was writing this so i edit this one.

Keep it comming!

Blake-

I just couldn't pass up this thread. They looked so good at the 3.5 hr. mark as mentioned.
Excellent effort. I'm going to try this real soon.
As for the burned edges, why not wrap some foil around the thinner areas so they don't burn. I've done this in the past and it works great!!

Rob

Sorry about the 700* thermometer, Blake. I forgot to swap out the grill one for the smoker one. My last use for mine was a high heat brisket.

And Blake's just being real hard on himself (as most of us are), they were fall off the bone, and extremely flavorful. They were not perfect, the skin was hard and bitter, but with a little work you could get past that and into the goodness. I'm sure next time you run em they'll be great. We need to do some pork loins here soon, try somethin different for once.
icon_biggrin.gif

PS, you're getting a grill thermometer and ceramic pot base for your smoker tomorrow
icon_smile.gif

Well, I for one like the concept. Try it again and watch for done a little better and you should be good. Got me wanting to try this with some spares....

I really enjoyed reaing your "Rib Shootout"! I think that is a Great Idea! I think the ribs turned out "fine" to me. Thanks for info, and the pics!

Dang Blake that last slab was spot on - I was about to try to eat my laptop screen! Fantastic looking slab!

Several times I've cooked something (usually ribs) that didn't turn out the way I wanted it to, so I was right back out on the smoker the next day, trying again to get it right.

I'd say you nailed it on that last slab!

Pat

Back