6 Racks of Baby Backs on a WSM 14?

Anthony Hunter

TVWBB Fan
I'm thinking about getting a WSM 14 for trips and tailgating. Do you think it is possible to get 3 rolled racks of BBs on each grate of this little cooker? Pics would be nice if you have them.

Thought about it some more. You can get a pork butt on the WSM 14. Three rolled ribs per rack should work.

However, the lower rack is 20F cooler on my WSM 22. They won't cook at the same rate. That can be a problem, but it does not have to be. Just know what to expect.

I highly recommend a hanging kit for doing WSM ribs.

For the 14 size, easiest to cut the slabs in half and hang half lengths. Three full/six half slabs would fit easily

I'd ask the Hunsaker people if you could fit six full/12 halves. Or if you could actually fit full length slabs.

Very easy to cook and handle a lot of hanging ribs as compared to juggling racks and rolls.

Also good for hanging other stuff -- chickens and turkey especially.

Last edited:
I’ve never cooked on a 14 but I think I’d hang them too if I could.
For me I prefer the open flame taste and juggling racks doesn’t seem like a whole lotta fun.
There is a dude on Edsy selling custom stainless barrels for smokers that are reasonably priced.

I hang ribs in my 18, so don't know for sure. But I doubt it would be a problem.

I do 4-5 hours no wrap (to keep it simple) for hanging ribs.

A WSM 14 presumably can cook that long. If not, re-fuel through the door.

Back