6 butts question

Joe Harold

I have 3 b.butts @ 5.5 lbs., and 3 butts @ 4-4.5 lbs.
My question is, how should I arrange them on the grates? Larger butts on bottom/top mixed up or what? I've never used the bottom rack before. Does it matter?
Thanks!
Joe

Concerning only butts, I typically put the smaller meats on bottom....I smoke with a dry, foiled water pan also.

Good luck and take pics if you can!

EDIT: LOL Guess Clark and I posted at the same time....confused yet?
icon_smile.gif

I can't leave 'it' like that.
icon_smile.gif

Either way, bigger meats on top shelf or bottom, just prepare yourself. Use a trusted thermometer and when the internal temps reach what you are trying for, from the top or bottom, pull them to rest. Handling all the hot stuff, meat, grates, etc if much easier for me using plain cotton gloves under latex gloves....the same way I pull pork butt. Having a prepared area to sit the smoker, to refuel to charcoal ring, or simply set the lid is always helpful as well.

Again, good luck and I'm sure you'll be fine!

Thanks.
Can't wait to get it going this afternoon. Might even go by the home despot and get one of these flower pot bases that everyone is yammering about.

If you go to the flower pot base be prepared that your cooker will run hotter than with the water pan. You will barely have your bottom vents open for most of the cook. I am a big fan of the waterless, clay pot base. I agree with Clark, put the larger ones on the bottm so you can access the smaller ones easier if they reach target temp sooner.

Greg J

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I agree with Clark, put the larger ones on the bottm so you can access the smaller ones easier if they reach target temp sooner. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure there is much of a difference when using the p.p. or clay pot but when using water isnt there like a 20* difference from the top grate to bottom gate. So if the larger meat is on top wouldn't you have a better chance of finishing both at the same time?
I usually want to finish both at the same time and I use a p.pan so put my larger meats on first and leave on top, also so I dont have raw meat dripping on cooked meat when there is a big difference in time that I put on

Back