6 Butt Overnighter

Bruce McLeod

TVWBB Member
After having some friends and neighbours over to try Pulled Pork from a previous cook, we figured doing 6 and sharing them might not be such a bad idea.

I've used yellow mustard on Greek lamb shoulder with great results. So, having some on hand I used it here.
IMG_2552web.jpg

Actually, I had already done an overnight brine with these, so the cooler was RTG.
IMG_2554web.jpg

Next, I used Chris Lilly's Six-time World Championship rub.
IMG_2560web.jpg

....and loaded them in/on the WSM.
IMG_2566web.jpg

Already had a full "Minion" load of RO going with a mix of Hickory, Cherry and Pear wood for smoke.
IMG_2564web.jpg

Smaller butts took ~16 hrs and the larger went for another two.

For pulling, lotsa hands make light work!
IMG_2570pullingcloseup.jpg

Used Kevin's Finishing Sauce at the end and had tons of smiles, with many ooohhs and ahhhhhhs all around!

homersimpondrool.jpg
Sweet Jebus that looks tasty!!! I take it that's a 22" you got there. BTW, nice looking backyard/waterfall/pond!

It's actually an 18.5".
I was inspired by Larry Wolfe's post about doing 6 big butts so I went for it.

About 4 hours before they finished, I added another chimney-full of briquettes.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

The bottom 3 (smaller ones) finished first, so we wrapped each in foil with a shot of apple juice and dropped them in the cooler until the big'uns finished. Two hours rest was just about perfect.

Thanks for the compliments on the patio/garden. It's actually my "front yard" with the street and parking just behind a hedge above the top of the photo.

With the occasional "grease/ash" debris from the WSM, the sealed "stamped concrete" is a breeze to clean and hose down.
icon_wink.gif

One of my partners in this cook was so blown away by the flavour of this PP that she's getting her own WSM.
icon_smile.gif

Bruce, I am now inspired by your pictures... Both to do six butts at a time and to dress up my backyard kitchen! Beautiful butts well situated on the WSM!

Backyard - view to Birch Point, WA (behind umbrella).
AugustGarden2006010web.jpg

Front patio/garden - WSM just off to the left.
IMG_2528web.jpg

I'm a bit envious of you guys in Florida who don't have to bring their banana plants inside in the fall
icon_wink.gif

Bruce, have you ever thought of getting someone to come in and landscape that mess for you, LOL, Just kidding of course very nice, great pictures, looks like a very tranquil place to enjoy your smokes.

Great lookin butts you cooked up there Bruce and I'm liking your view. Where exactly are you? I grew up in Seattle, moved down to SoCal in '83.

I need to stop getting on this forum during the day, I just sit at my desk and salivate all over.

Great looking butts and yard!

Hey Toby,
White Rock is on the Canada/USA border, near the "Peace Arch" crossing for I-5.

Those 6 butts were from the US border town of Blaine where Cost Cutter , the local supermarket, had them on sale.

I haven't seen any pork butt on sale in Canada in over 6 months.
icon_mad.gif

We often go across the border to buy gas and some groceries. In fact, tomorrow we're heading south to Bellingham to buy a Sausage Stuffer from Grizzly Tools (at 1/2 the price that the same Chinese-made model is available for in Canada).

With any luck, next week we should be eating smoked home-made bratwurst, sweet Italian and polish sausage courtesy of the WSM.

Pictures?
Here's a panorama view from our home, looking south/west.
Blaine is off to the left of Birch point (on the left), the US San Juan Islands are in the distance as are the Olympic Mountains (far distance) and on the right horizon is Saturna Island, part of the Canadian Gulf Islands.
SunsetJune242web.jpg

Similar, expanded (stitched photo) scene with more "interesting weather" at sunset.
SpringSquallatSunset.jpg

This one also has Blaine's Harbor on the far left and an orphaned piece of the USA, Point Roberts, is just above and to the right of the power pole on the right.

Check it out on Google maps to see how the border zig-zags in this region.
Cheers, Bruce

So this is what it looks like in BBQ heaven!
icon_cool.gif
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bruce McLeod:
Backyard - view to Birch Point, WA (behind umbrella).
AugustGarden2006010web.jpg

Front patio/garden - WSM just off to the left.
IMG_2528web.jpg

I'm a bit envious of you guys in Florida who don't have to bring their banana plants inside in the fall
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back