6.3 lb brisket on for 6 hours already at 187!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Clay

TVWBB Fan
I put a brisket flat on this morning at 6:30 along with some spareribs. Ribs on top brisket on bottom. I just took the ribs off, they were at 190 average between the ribs. I moved the brisket up to the top grate and put my polder probe in and it's already registering 187!! I just checked the thermo last night and it was spot on perfect. My WSM has been running steady between 230 and 260 (at the dome). There was a short period where it spiked up to 280 but I was able to get it back down within about 15 minutes. I find it hard to believe that it's at that temp already. I moved the probe to a couple of different places and it's 187. I'm going to leave the brisket on until it hits at least 195. Any ideas?

Did you notice how much fat or connective tissue marbled the meat before you put it on? Maybe you just got a lean one...

Do the boiling water test on your probe if you need a sanity test. Make sure you test the meat temp in a couple locations if you still don't believe it.

k

The meat did look pretty lean. I just did the boiling water test yesterday and the probe was right on the money.

Well, I took the meat off because my probe said it was 203. I did a couple of slices across the grain and damned if it isn't done! Fastest brisket I've ever smoked. Just goes to show you that you can't judge the cooking time by the weight alone. Thickness and density have alot to do with it. This brisket cooked in not much more time then my spare ribs. If I had gone by weight alone I'd have left this meat on for another 2 or 3 hours. Would have been a piece of charcoal by then.

Well, just to make sure I wasn't crazy I just did a boil test. My probe measured 212 in a pot that was at a rolling boil which is perfect for this elevation and preasure.

Jim,

You're getting Minioned.
The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago and I posted it.
An extremely large Brisket was put on around 12:30AM..went to bed . Got up around 8 AM checked the Polder and it showed 190. Couldn't believe it . Poked the thing in a few areas and it was consistantly 190.
It was done ( and great) Seemed too quick, but I've come to the conclusion that these hunks of meat are inconsistant in cooking time. Trust your Polder , and if a probe shows no resistance it's done, regardless of the time involved.
WILL

It was choice. After cutting it up, it was clearly very lean. However, it passed my pinch test. I take a slice across the grain from the middle and pinch it between my index finger and thumb. If it falls into two pieces farely easily then it passes. Frankly I let it go a little too long. It was a little bit dry, though, not seriously. It just proves to me that you really have to watch that internal temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back