5lb brisket??

Jeff Rushe

TVWBB Member
...my first brisket cook this weekend so now I'm starting to get a little neurotic!

Because I'm lazy/busy this week and because one of my main butcher shops was closed when I got there - I ended up at BJ's. The biggest brisket I could find weighed in at just shy of 5lbs. I didn't know they were that small - I was hoping for 8lbs at the least. I'm only cooking for myself and like 2 others -- so that's PLENTY (with some expected leftovers!)

I told that to a friend of mine and he's in disbelief that a (decent) brisket is only 5lbs.

Now I'm a little worried. I know there is a tendency to dry out briskets. Do you think that plays more of a role being such a small piece of meat? I am planning on doing this low-n-slow rather than the recently popular high-heat threads going around.

Or should my friend just chill out and let me enjoy my time smokin' meat and cigars while enjoying a couple cold one's in the backyard tomorrow?
icon_biggrin.gif
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Hey Ken,

Actually I did....they've hooked up up with some huge butts in the past. They always seem willing to help out.

However, last night the girl said they were all around the 4lb mark. Kind of odd.

...but then again, I'm not looking to feed a large group.

Don't worry too much. I cooked my first one, about the same size, slowly on a Performer and it wasn't dry.

Jeff,
Since I only cook for two and only flats, I get 5 pounders at BJ's all the time, although I've seen larger. I look for a decent fat cap, and believe it or not, they often have them. I don't trim at all and cook fat side down on the WSM. I go the high heat route, smoking for about 2-2.5 hours, give or take, and foiling at about 160 or when the brisket has taken on good color.(As advised by others on this board). It cooks quickly once foiled so I start checking for tender after about an hour to hour and half. I cook to tender because I'm usually looking to eat soon after the brisket is brought in. I rest for about half hour, open the foil and let cool a bit before slicing as it seems to cut better that way. There will be juice in the foil that you can use, and I usually do, even though the meat is pretty moist. Be careful handling the foiled brisket as that juice will be hot. Good luck and enjoy.

whats up Dave....

Thanks for that...definitely gives me a different approach to think about.

For some reason the high-heat method is scaring me off - at least for my first go-around. Plus I've got a wide open schedule and am looking forward to just chilling in the backyard.

...however, 4-5 hours sounds appealing too

If you're not smoking this weekend hopefully the sea breeze is kicking inland ... I'll try not to rub it in that much
icon_wink.gif
However Salem to Framingham? That might be a BAD sign
icon_cool.gif

Beautiful day here today. I'll be smoking something this weekend, just don't know what yet. Maybe I'll do a brisket flat myself

Back