5 yr old Performer Platinum...

Ken S

Saw one for sale says he would take $150. Looks clean says it was made in USA when they still did that. Looks like a steel table(?) Is it a deal? Any downside to the older models? Wanted a red one but for the price maybe it's a sign to stick with black... What do you guys think?

Pictures would be nice, does it have a gas assist start? The Stainless Steel table Performer grills seem to have a following on this site. The older grill are better, 1in square steel tubing for frames and SS tables. Most of the parts are available thru Weber. Think the org SS performers were $600 new. Do search on this site for rebuilds, you can easily make them look and perform like new.

Saw one for sale says he would take $150. Looks clean says it was made in USA when they still did that. Looks like a steel table(?) Is it a deal? Any downside to the older models? Wanted a red one but for the price maybe it's a sign to stick with black... What do you guys think?

I think you need to look at it pretty closely. Those steel frames can get pretty rusty depending on where it was stored and if it was covered. You'll be able to see. Anyway, if it's in good condition and doesn't need too much R&R that's not a bad price. If it's good, make an offer of something less and see if he takes it.

Just saw this thread so I might be too late with this info. Below is a picture of an older model Performer (1999) next to one of the newer models (2009). Not sure when they quit making the older model with the SS table, but pretty sure it was more than 5 years ago. In addition to the differences in stainless steel table vs. plastic, the other differences are the different type of gas bottles that is used and the newer models are 2.5 or so inches taller. The real new models move the thermometer's location from the handle onto the lid itself.

Both are great to use and have pretty loyal followings. Really can't go wrong either way. In the perfect world, I would love to see the plastic table on the new one replaced with stainless steel, because I really like the additional height and disposable bottles on the newer models. I guess I will just keep dreaming.

Performercomparisons_zps803b439a.jpg

Thanks guys. Pics are great Don. Think I have to go with a new higher one as I am 6'4". Maybe if he took $100 could be restoration project...

Pictures would be nice, does it have a gas assist start? The Stainless Steel table Performer grills seem to have a following on this site. The older grill are better, 1in square steel tubing for frames and SS tables. Most of the parts are available thru Weber. Think the org SS performers were $600 new. Do search on this site for rebuilds, you can easily make them look and perform like new.

Hardest site to find parts on I have looked at...where is Weber hiding the parts? Ash catcher? And for that mater about all parts but grill racks seem hidden or not there

Owning both the old and new performers, I will take the plastic table over the top that swings upward so that you have to remove anything on top to open it and a plastic bin that always falls down. My back appreciates the several inches in height of the new performer.

I was thinking that a custom piece of granite for the new performer would be a nice touch in lieu of the plastic table.

Back