#5 Sauce?

Tim (the grillaholic)

TVWBB Super Fan
This may be s lame question, but where can I find the recipe for "#5 sauce"? Having read all the posts, and all the good reviews, I would like to try some for myself.
I have tried to find it in the sauces forum with no luck.
Thanks, Tim

Thanks Gary, Gonna make a batch for next weekends Smoke.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

THANKS AGAIN!

This is my current BBQ sauce. A lot like #5, but a lot less vinegar, if that floats your boat. Not a Carolina-style sauce. And some other changes that I like a lot.

Steve's BBQ Sauce

--
2 cups ketchup
1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
1 tablespoon Cholula hot sauce
1 tablespoon dry rub
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon espresso powder

Combine all of the ingredients in a nonreactive saucepan and slowly bring to a boil over medium-high heat stirring regularly to prevent the bottom from heating up and generating volcano bubbles. Reduce the heat to medium-low and gently simmer until dark, thick, and richly flavored, 10 to 15 minutes. Continue stirring during the simmer as well. Transfer the sauce to a clean jar and store in the refrigerator.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Cutchen:
This is my current BBQ sauce. A lot like #5, but a lot less vinegar, if that floats your boat. Not a Carolina-style sauce. And some other changes that I like a lot.

Steve's BBQ Sauce

--
2 cups ketchup
1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
1 tablespoon Cholula hot sauce
1 tablespoon dry rub
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon espresso powder

Combine all of the ingredients in a nonreactive saucepan and slowly bring to a boil over medium-high heat stirring regularly to prevent the bottom from heating up and generating volcano bubbles. Reduce the heat to medium-low and gently simmer until dark, thick, and richly flavored, 10 to 15 minutes. Continue stirring during the simmer as well. Transfer the sauce to a clean jar and store in the refrigerator. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Well that list makes it a #9 sauce. As I understand it the #5 sauce was developed for the purpose of having a basic, easy to make, minimal ingredient sauce. After you do the #5 sauce once then you can start tweaking it to your own taste. That said I think I'm going to try out Steve's version, it looks interesting.

the #5 is a great base. i take it the other direction from steve and UP the vinegar content; that's the beauty of #5: it's super easy to customize.

Thanks guys! Thats the thing I love about this site; everybody shares their 'secret recipe'. This site is pretty much like no other i have found. We all try to help each other at improve our addictions!!
Thanks again!

Back