5 lb Brisket, best methods

John Bailey

Posted this under BBQing too, but thought this may be a more appropriate place? Let me know if I'm breaking the rules posting again. Also, already got the feedback that the brisket was over priced. Live and learn. . .

I went to the butcher to get beef ribs, but the ones they had were lacking of beef. So I walked out with a brisket. This will be my second attempt at a brisket. It weighs 5.5 lbs, he cut off about 2+ lbs because 5lb was all I could afford. Came to about $55. I got the piece with the thick slab of fat on it. I'm trying to decide the best way to smoke this piece. I thought I read high temp is preffered for the lower quality briskets. The piece I got looks very nice and is well marbled. I'm not sure what grade it is. The butcher pushed me to brine it, but I see very few people anywhere on line recommending brining beef brisket, unless you are looking for corned beef or pastrami. With this cut and a WSM. . what would you do??

First thing I'd do is smack the butcher across the face with it then demand my money back!!!

Never cook ones that small so I'm no help.

IF I'm reading your post correctly, you paid $55.00 bucks for a 5.5 pound brisket ???? I'd smack somebody for pricing the meat that high. I pay "about" $1.95 to $2.95 a pound for most the briskets I buy at major grocery stores. I've always been told, even by butchers, the way you can tell a good brisket is to see if you can bend each end and about touch the two together. It needs to be limber enough for you to be able to bend it double until the ends touch. That's the "Quality Guage" I've always been taught.

No wonder you had him cut it in half. I couldn't and wouldn't spend $10 bucks a pound for brisket.

Since you have a brisket, you might as well enjoy it. I did my first brisket on July 4th for a family party and am planning to do another one next weekend since I didn't get much. It lasted about 15 minutes.

I used the recipe for Dr. BBQ's Shortcut Brisket from his book but made a few modifications. I used his Big Cow Beef Injection and Big Time BBQ rub the night before. I fired up my WSM using the minion method the next morning and set the smoker around 275. I cooked the brisket to 165, then foiled it and cooked to 200. I let it rest in a cooler two hours before slicing.

I'm sure it wasn't championship brisket but it was G O O D and went fast.

Back