4th of July Spares and Cheesy Spiral Dogs

Mike Coffman

TVWBB Olympian
2 large spare ribs, 1 trimmed and coated with Jack’s Old South rub and the other rack just cut
in half and seasoned with Plowboys Yardbird Rub. Put onto the WSM with a few chunks of hickory.
DSC_7537.jpg

About 15 minutes after I put the ribs on, my wife’s mother, who lives behind us, smelled the smoke
and asked if I had room for 1 rack of babybacks and I told her bring them over since I had one
slot open on my rib rack.
DSC_7540.jpg

Babybacks were done after 4 hours, which included wrapped in foil for about 45 minutes, sauced
and put back on the smoker for 15 minutes. The temp on the WSM remained steady at 240 at the lid for the entire
4 hours.
DSC_7542.jpg

Spares were done after 5 ½ hours, including being wrapped in foil for 2 hours, sauced and
back onto the smoker for 30 minutes. They aren’t the best looking ones I cooked, but I bet
you that they will be very tasty.
DSC_7544.jpg

Decided to give Bob’s spiral dogs a shot. Some were okay, but I think I will leave this one to the experts.
icon_biggrin.gif

DSC_7548.jpg

The dogs were just about finished so got out some shredded 4 cheese Mexican and spread it across the
spirals. Let it melt, then removed the dogs from the smoker.
DSC_7549.jpg

Plated with some homemade macaroni salad, watermelon, stuffed mini peppers and loaded up the spiral
dog with spicy chili and more cheese.
DSC_7555-001.jpg

The spares were very juicy, with a great crunch. I was a bit hesitant on buying them, since I usually do
babybacks or St. Louis ribs, but at $1.49 a pound, felt I couldn’t go wrong with them. So, if the
sale is still on tomorrow, will grab a few more. Dinner was great, our company was happy and full
and now we are waiting to go watch the local fireworks.

Happy 4th of July everyone and thanks for looking!

Outstanding cook!! I tried spiral cutting some dogs for this evenings cook and I got some practicing to do
icon_confused.gif

Mike the pullback on those ribs is Super and the smoke ring.

Great job on the dogs and sides too.

Then there is is photography!

On a scale of 1-10, that's a 20!

Dynamite looking cook and pics Mike!
That first shot is classic for the WSM!
Dig the dogs too, you did better than I did
icon_smile.gif

Excellent looking plate of food.

I did the spirals myself yesterday. I need some practice. Everyone loved 'em though.

Back