4th of July Overnighter

Status
Not open for further replies.

J Pruitt

Ok who's doin an overnighter tonight?

I'm just doin one 10 lb brisket for a small family gathering tomorrow. Been raining all day and I thought I could get the coals lit during the stoppage but looks like I was wrong as the rain is picking back up.

The ET-73 will be put to the test tonight. Anyone else out there smokin tonight?

I have a 8.5lb brisket sitting under a 8lb butt. Temp holding steady at 230 on the grate. This will be my first brisket.

Good luck on the brisket! What rub did you use? Also, how much did it end up costing you - brisket prices around here are high $2.75/lb

JP
I found 3 briskets at wal mart last week ranging between 11.73 lbs to 13.69 lbs.
$1.28 per lb.
Bought all 3 of them.

Just got a got a 13# brisket on.

I'm getting ready to prep 25 jalapeños for ABT's. I also have two 4# chickens marinating for Beer But Chicken.

It finally stopped raining in North Texas and it’s a great night to be q’en!

I just used the the same rub as I did on the mustard slathered pork butt, the modified armadillo Willy's rub. I have been looking for full briskets at Sams, BJ's and the local grocery stores but ended up having to oder one from a butcher, paid 1.98 lb for it.Lookin' forward to tastin' it. Before I came across this site I only thought of BBQ comin' from a roast in the crock pot. This sight opened my eyes and my taste buds to some great eats!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff S.:
JP
I found 3 briskets at wal mart last week ranging between 11.73 lbs to 13.69 lbs.
$1.28 per lb.
Bought all 3 of them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jeff,

I might be able to get it <$2/lb at Wally World but I don't buy any meat there - just a preference I guess. All their pork products have sodium solution injected/soaked into it - at least the one I visit.

The local butchers (retail) are high priced but I've never got anything I considered remotely suspect. Maybe I'll break down and try a brisket from Sams...

Another brisket overnighter here. Also will be my first brisket, 13.29 lbs pre-trim. Will be adding 2 cut up chickens on the bottom grate in the morning. WSM just settled in at 235, which is pretty good. I'll be getting to bed soon, but need to get up around 3:00 (California time) to replenish the water pan.

Have fun tomorrow, and be safe!

Cooking four pork butts for this afternoon. Perhaps the biggest challenge will be to get a good nap in, before the festivities /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Well, I was going to do an overnight brisket, but there was this neighbor across the street,and there was this bottle of Sky vodka, I'm sure you all know what happened to the brisket. NOTHING! However, there are 4 slabs of spares smokin their little bones off as we speak!!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
I have two with a BRITU style rub and two I am doing with just salt and pepper. I want to have more of a pure smokey pork flavor that will be accented by the bbq sauce.
MORE COFFEE !!!!!
Al

Jason,

Try using sand in the water pan. You won't go back after you do it! Plus, no need to get up during overnight smokes!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Hi all, happy 4th of July. No overnighter for me however I will be putting on a WSM full of spares in awhile. We will be doing some brats too. I bought my spares at SAM'S earlier in the week, this is where I buy most of the meat I smoke as it is usually a good price and of good quality, not to mention I do work for Wal-Mart. Boy was I dissapointed when I began to trim the spares to ST. Louis style to find that these spares were, well lets say cut like I've never seen them cut before. The rib bones were about two inches long when there was a bone. I called the local club and explained, returned the opened partially trimmed pack no questions asked for a full refund. I bought some big beautiful racks that are getting room temp as I type. All is good. Again happy 4th to all and be safe.

Chach

Happy 4th. all
I put 3 7.5Lbsers on at 7.30 last night. This rain made it a new challenge. Just went out and stirred the coals adn they are looking really good, but we have hit the 160F-ish spot so I am stuck for awhile. Shooting for a 1-2pm serve time so Wish me luck!

Arthur

4 8lb Boston Butts on my Brinkman Offset.

Been on since 21:00 last night, all 4 currently at 158F - 165F.

Guests start arriving at 13:00 today, plan to serve pulled pork about 16:00.

Jack

Hi All,

I'm a relative newbie, into my 4th cook with the WSM. Two of ribs and one butt which I didn't let cook long enough. This morning, I have on two smallish picnics (about 3.5 lbs each) for some pulled pork tonight. In a little while I'll be putting on some fresh garlic sausages for lunch. I'll put in some baked beans later this afternoon too. God, I love my WSM!

Cheers,
Michael

Well the coals made it through the storm w/o a problem last night - never dropped below 220. Stirred them at about 9am and now at 10:30 they are holding at 241 w/ a brisket temp of 182 - 6 more to go!!!!

I pulled the brisket around 11am. It is resting comfortably in the cooler, the butt is at 184.
As soon as I pull the butt off and pack it in with the brisket I am off too the inlaws.
I wish ya all and all of yours a safe and happy 4th.

I got my fire started when the fire works got started ,lol. Have two 8# butts on .I am giving the injection a try. Chris helped me out here. I am doing one like advised and one I subed the apple juice with chicken stock. Have sand in the water pan. Temps are holding good at 225/230. Smoke wood is white oak/pecan/hickory/apple.The rub is a BRITU spin off.Hope you all had a great day.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back