4th of July Cooking

I have four butts (32 pounds before trimming; 27 pounds after removing the fat caps) waiting to go on the WSM on Tuesday afternoon when I get home from the office. We just finished removing the fat caps, and my wife applied the first dusting of her rub. The next application is Tuesday right before the meat goes into the smoker.

I am also grilling some burgers on Wednesday on my Performer.

I pick my kids up from the airport for their summer visit on Tuesday then it's right home to start preparing for the 4th. Wednesday we'll be having a pool party with neighbors and family; I'm doing baby backs, two pork butts on the WSM. Roadside chicken and sausages on the OTG and Performer and garlic burgers and hotdogs on the gasser.

This will be the first meal I've prepared for the kids with the WSM, can't wait to blow their tastebuds away!

Mmmmmmm .. Garlic Burgers!
10.gif
Got a recipe?

Bill

My two cousins and I are doing a group smoke. One is doing a butt the other is doing a brisket. I'll be doing 3 racks of loin backs. My first attempt at these. I've only ever done spares before. Sam's didn't have a good selection when I went so I opted for the back ribs. Hope there isn't too much difference in cooking.

Hi Bill, no problem. It's not really a recipe but here's how I do them. I make a garlic paste out of olive oil (never measured but I'd have to guess about 1/3 cup, 1 head of garlic (or more depending on how much garlic flavor you and your guests can handle), fresh ground pepper and some kosher salt. I throw it all in the food processor and slowly pour in the olive oil while on.

I then mix the paste with ground chuck and grill. That's really about it. Depending on who's eating them I may throw a little seasoning on while they're grilling.

Hope this helps, I've been making them this way for years and if you're a garlic lover they're a big hit. If you try them let me know how they turn out.

I'm not sure what I'll be making for the 4th. I started a new job a couple of months ago (part of the reason I haven't been around lately). As luck would have it I'm on call for the week starting tomorrow. You'd think that no one would be trying to work on the 4th but I can't be sure of it. The last job I had where we had on-call I ended up working for about four hours on thanksgiving because some sod decided he wanted to get work done while everyone was out of the office and couldn't get to a server where his files are stored.
icon_rolleyes.gif

That said, I'm thinking blue-cheese stuffed burgers on the gasser. That way if I get called out unexpectedly SWMBO can finish them up.
icon_biggrin.gif

Larry, thanks for the info ~ I prefer ground chuck for burgers too and this sounds like something I want to try on Independence Day.

5.gif

So, how much ground chuck do you add this to, so I can figure how much of a garlic head you are.
icon_wink.gif

Thanks in advance ~ Sorry for the hijack..
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Bill

I'm planning on doing 2 briskets and 2 Boston Butts. That's the most I have ever done on my Weber, but I'm going to give it a go. I am doing the overnight cook too. I can't wait!

Steve

I will be cooking 60#'s of ribs and grilling 30#'s of chicken breasts for the Boy Scouts at Lefeber Scout in northern Wisconsin.

This is for their 4th of July all camp lunch.

Then I will spend the balance of day relaxing.

Mark

i'm only servin for about 5 people (two of which are light eating women) so i'm only gonna pop on about 4-5 slabs of BRITU and call it a day...

edit - more people are coming, so now i'm up to about 8 slabs... hehe i'm lovin it...

I'll be doing some of Jumpin' Jim Competition Chicken Thighs, Corn, Garlic Grilled Tomatoes (a Paula Deen recipe), burgers, dogs, and maybe a butt.

Looks like I'll be cooking a picnic, spare ribs, and some beef back ribs I have in the freezer. Man, this is going to be one tasty day
icon_wink.gif

Already have pulled pork leftover in the freezer from a big smoke I did weekend before last. 10 lbs. of the BBQ went to my future in-laws for a party they were having, the other 10 lbs. stayed with us to enjoy on the 4th. Even with those great "leftovers", I might have to add some baby backs and chicken wings to the mix on Wednesday as part of my patriotic duty to keep the BBQ fires going on Independence Day.

We are hosting the neighborhood block party on Saturday. I bought a 10 lb packer and a 9.5 lb pork butt for the WSM. I'll also be cooking some chicken halves on the kettle.

My brisket is well-loved in this neighborhood. I take great pride in being a Yankee that can show Texans what good brisket tastes like.

I'll probably have both tomato and vinegar based sauces for the pork. I'll have to check my smoking wood supply and probably grab some more charcoal. Where is the Home Depot sale when I need it?

Tonight I start with six butts on the WSM. Then Saturday a couple more butts.When they are done throw a packer on to do hot and fast cook and finishing on Sunday with two slab. My wife says I'm an all or nothing kinda guy. I don't know where she gets that idea
icon_wink.gif

2 Butts going on around 8PM, and a packer going on a little later. One butt, and the flat from the packer, will be going to a cookout (notice I didn't say BBQ) tomorrow to be had amongst the burgers & hotdogs.
icon_biggrin.gif
wsmsmile8gm.gif

OK Boys and Girls,
Got up about 5:30AM, got the WSM and the Weber going and ready. Put the 2 Briskets on the WSM and it has cruised at about 250 ever since ~6 hours. In about 45 min. I am going to switch them. I expect to take them off about 7 or so.
The 13 lb. prok butt/shoulder in smoking on the Weber. After fighting the temps got it at about 270 and plan to pull it off about the same time. Both for foil and in the AM reheat, rest and carve.

I have about 40 chicken thighs that I am going to hi-temp smoke and I am going to reheat (in the smoker) two butts worth of pulled pork leftover from this weekend's competition.

Not sure about side dishes though....

Back