4th Cook on 22.5 WSM and First Pork Butt

Mick... with your newfound appreciation for bbq'd pork (grin) , specifically the Boston Butt, might I suggest trying sliced money muscle. Maybe some pulled tubes.

Both of the above require attention to the pork's condition. But the rewards are in the tasty morsels.

Hey Bob...thanks for the feedback. I've actually seen them do that on some of the BBQ Pitmasters shows on TV...but, never understood exactly what they were talking about, or even where the "money muscle" is located. And, I don't have a clue what "pulled tubes" even means. LOL!! But, I'm up for it, if you would excuse my ignorance and care to elaborate? Being an old Texas country boy, smoking brisket, beef ribs, and shoulder clod for the most part, about the only pork I've done a whole lot of has been ribs...spare and baby back. And, in the past 30 years I've only done maybe 30 pork butts or shoulders...about one a year average I'd say. So, for me to do a shoulder one weekend and a butt the next is whole new territory. And, my thought process going into that was to use the inexpensive pork to get a feel for cooking on the WSM, before I do a brisket. I've just never done them so well...and it has never tasted so good to me. So, yes, I do have this newfound appreciation for barbecued pork...and appreciate any help explaining how to do the "money muscle" and "pulled tubes".

Thanks Barb and Rich. I think I might've gotten lucky on that...we'll see next time. Good luck on trying the rub or sauce I mentioned. And, if you find anything to add or take away, let me know. I'm always changing...rubs especially. Except beef...and I'm a firm believer in one part Kosher salt to two-three parts coarse black pepper only on beef.

Most certainly... Looking at your 3rd picture in this thread, the money muscle is that cylindercal bulge of meat sitting on the left side of that butt, on the opposite side from the bone. In the next picture, your 4th picture, that missing piece of bark is from the top of the money muscle, or at least very close to the top. Most cooks will trim out the MM such that it's still attached to the rest of the butt, but trimmed to maximize the bark. Tube are much different, generally site between the MM and bone and are parallel to the MM. If you look at the side of a Boston Butt before the rub has been applied, you will see what looks like the ends of round muscles. These are generally the tubes. Requires a great deal of care to cook only until the tubes are just right and the same care in remove intact.

Back