4 PB on the WSM

Bill Rickert

TVWBB Fan
I've got 4 pb (all Mr Brown) on the WSM, started at 9:30PM. I wanted it a little later but I guess I'm getting into the prep routine a little better. There are 2 boneless on the bottom and 2 bone in in the top grate. My lid temp is reading 250* and my Maverick is reading 208* at the grate.

It seems my WSM just likes the 250* mark, it always wants to sit there and is easy to hold. I'd prefer 240* but I'm not going to try to adjust 10*. My vents are 25/25/25. The Maverick is reading 208* and that seems to be a big difference from the lid, but it was the same last time. That probe seems to be slowly rising, so maybe the Maverick takes a little longer to settle in.

There's a little over 20lbs of meat between the 4 butts, outside temp is a comfy 54* with little or no wind. Jan 7 and I'm cookin in cut offs and a t-shirt. No problems or questions at this time, just sharing a bit of info, hope others are having as good a time as I am.

54 is jacket and hat weather!
icon_smile.gif

When cooking alot of meat (or any time the grate probe is positioned close to the meat) it is hard to get a grate reading from a probe that will be anywhere near the lid reading--for a while anyway. The proximity of the probe to the meat (and the cold mass below) kind of gets in the way.

Have a great ccok, Bill, and a great meal.

I have in my WSM a 5.5# brisket flat and a fatty w/ the maverick grate probe about an inch from the outer edge of the flat.

I figure that the 236* that the grate probe is reading is more like the temp the meat is seeing than is the dome temp (which I do not monitor)

ambient Temp is about 45*-50* w/ no wind, vents are 100%-25%-0% open.

I've had an interesting night. I took a little nap around 1am with things holding at 245 lid and 212 grate. At 4:30am my maverick alert went off and the temps were 220 and 193. The wind came up all of a sudden. I put the heater jacket on and by 5 things were back to 245/217. Watched for awhile (till around 6am) and took another nap. 8:30, the alert went off again. The wind had spread the breaker apart and pulled one clip loose. Opened vents a little, reset the wind break and jogged the legs a little to drop some ash. It's now 9:40 and the lid is at about 247 and the grate is 223. I'll probably close the vents a little if things climb any higher, otherwise, let it go.

Back