4 line display

JLossett

Does anyone have any sources for an inexpensive 4line display?

I just got my boards in from OSH and I plan on starting my first build soon. I think I want a 4line display and from what I understand a "MDL-20464B" style board is smaller and looks better. I know Digikey has them for $38.70 but I was hoping someone here had a cheaper source.

Thanks in advance and wish me luck on my first build!

Jason

Any HD44780 compatible display will work.
4X20 displays need to be wired to the board.
There is a thread here somewhere search for Newhaven Display.

I'm planning on building a 4 line display with 4.1 once it's ready. what is the best way to wire the 4 line display? I didn't realize that it didn't fit on top of the pins like the 2 line. Also, how is it then mounted to fit snugly in the case, etc? Is it a problem fitting it in the case?

You need to order a case for a 4 line display.
You can use small gauge wire, or ribbon cable.

Something as simple as the wires from an old floppy drive

Thanks, Frank. Are you saying that although the LCD isn't attached directly to the pins it is somewhat "floating" and will fit in the 4 line case? Will the case opening hold it in place? The HM keeps it from falling back into the case?

Also, didn't I read in another thread that there are some 4 line displays with the headers on top and bottom? Couldn't those be connected in the same manner as the 2 line?

eBay shows that there are some pictures of 4 line displays with pins on the top and bottom, although their datasheets don't show the pins on the bottom so I can't tell if the pins are in the right order. Theoretically it would work, although I don't know if the case lines up correctly.

I used an old IDE hard drive cable. Floppy cables aren't great because they have a twist in them.

Thanks. I didn't realize there was a place to secure the LCD in the case with screws. How are people handling the IDE cables? Are you soldering the individual wires or attaching a connector (or reusing existing connector if possible). My electronics noobness is showing now! :)

I took an IDE cable and cut off the section where the two drives connect and used just that section to connect the LCD to the HM.

Same as Ralph regarding the cable. Used right angle pins on the hm board and straight pins on the LCD.

Back