4 Butts?

SteveK

I am a new WSM user, and did the BRITU this past weekend. They turned out PERFECT, eventhough I was cooking late into the night...during a snow storm.

I want to try the pork butt next, but I usally see people doing two at a time. Is it possible to fit four on one WSM? Obviously size/weight of the meat will play a part in this...but I guess I was wondering if anyone has made four at once?

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve.

First of all, welcome to the board.
icon_cool.gif

4 butts can easily be cooked on the WSM. Below are a couple pics of a cook I documented a couple years ago. I try to keep the butts as close in weight as I can for obvious reasons but place the lighter butts on the lower rack since the uppper rack tends to run a bit higher in temp. Mine usually run 7.5 to 8.0 pounds and take from 18 to 22 hours cooked at 220º. This can be accomplished with a heaping load of Kingsford but be prepared to add fuel near the end of your cook depending on your weather conditions, water supply in the pan if you use water, etc. Others will probably chime in on their experiences as well. I use the BBQ Guru which requires no heat sink (water or sand in the pan) and it keeps the temp within a few degrees of where I want it for the duration of the fuel supply.

Good luck on your 1st overnighter.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I don't think there can be much added to what Bill said.

I do cook at a higher temp though. I run about 250 and usually am done by 15-18 hours.

Not to hijack your thread Steve, but a couple of questions for Bill.

Bill why the two probes in one butt? Is that a third "air temp" probe clipped to one of the meat temps? What's with that block of wood looking thing against the other butt? All in photo 2

Thanks

Bill,

One of the meat probes was the Guru’s meat probe and it had the Guru’s air/pit temp probe clipped to it. The other probe in the butt was a Nu-Temp probe. The block of wood was holding another Nu-Temp probe for additional air/pit data. It was just redundancy/data for an old retired engineer type.

Thanks for in the info and pics....Bill, and Jeff.

I'm looking to cook for a large group....and they CAN EAT....so I wondered if 4 was possible.

Thanks again guys!!! I am hooked on this WSM gadget!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SteveK:
Thanks for in the info and pics....Bill, and Jeff.

I'm looking to cook for a large group....and they CAN EAT....so I wondered if 4 was possible.

Thanks again guys!!! I am hooked on this WSM gadget! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can get even more on with some threaded rod/wing nuts and washers. Put another grate on top. I've had over 40#'s on before.

Did six butts a few weeks ago. Borrowed a technique from Jason D. I just leaned them against each other slathered and rubbed . Three to a rack. They came out great.

I've done the same as Paul h - three to a rack, six total. If they are cut squarely, you can actually set them lengthwise and get them to almost fit without touching. (almost).

Regardless, after a few hours, they shrink a bit and you won't have as much touching.

Only difference in doing it that way is to make sure your ramp up to the minion method isn't too slow. 45 pounds of very cold meat takes a little more push on the lit coal at the beginning. But once going along, it operates like any other butt cook.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays:
Bill,

One of the meat probes was the Guru’s meat probe and it had the Guru’s air/pit temp probe clipped to it. The other probe in the butt was a Nu-Temp probe. The block of wood was holding another Nu-Temp probe for additional air/pit data. It was just redundancy/data for an old retired engineer type. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks Bill!

Well, like I said before....the group can put away some food....so maybe I'll have to do 6 butts? I'll probably do 2 the first time...to break the "cherry"...then move up to 4 or 6. Thanks for the info Paul and Adam.

Steve

Jay, Adam suggested that if they are squared on the ends you can run them lengthwise. All I did was lean them against each other in a sort of triangular shape on their sides. This allows them to have plenty of surface area for the formation of bark. Had over 56 lbs of raw pork on the WSM. The only problem with this method is it's tricky to get the bottom grate on with the meat already in place. I suppose I could have used wooden skewers or something to hold them together.

Back