3rd grate

Ryan Ko

TVWBB Super Fan
I am thinking of adding a 3rd grate to my 22" WSM. I like the way the person did it on here that added the middle brackets to the grate bracket and uses another top rack on them. I tried to get my top rack past the top brackets yesterday and it doesn't seem to fit. I know they said you had to cut the bolts off flush with the nuts, but I couldn't even get it past the brackets. Anyone have any really cool ideas for a third rack? Also, where is the best place to get replacement/additional racks for the WSM?

Ryan,

You have to go under the opposite tabs 1st then put the one end on your middle support and it should go by the top support. I have done this mod on both of my bullets. Most big box stores and ACE Hardware's have the grates, they are standard ones that fit the kettles as well. JS McDowell has done this as well.

Let me know if this helps.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Wow, thanks for the pictures! I am assuming that this middle grate cannot have any food on it when installing or removing.

Ryan,

I do move it in and out with some kinds of meat, you just have to be careful. I wouldn't try with more than 2 butts though. Usually after some time the meat sticks to the grate good enough to stay.

Ryan....Just FYI, I also added an extra rack on the top, for a total of 4. The 4th rack is a smaller one that fits inside the lid. I use the 4 rack setup when doing brats, thighs & drumsticks, or any number of thinner cuts of meat. Also fatties and ABT's.

I don't use that set-up often, but it is nice to have. The 4th rack also fits on my 22.5 kettle.

Originally posted by B. Kaylor:
Ryan....Just FYI, I also added an extra rack on the top, for a total of 4. The 4th rack is a smaller one that fits inside the lid. I use the 4 rack setup when doing brats, thighs & drumsticks, or any number of thinner cuts of meat. Also fatties and ABT's.

I don't use that set-up often, but it is nice to have. The 4th rack also fits on my 22.5 kettle.

Can you explain how you did this? Do you have any pictures?

Hi Ryan.....Sorry, but I am not very techno savey (pictures), but I can tell you!

First, refer to the Modification section; Increasing cooking capacity...I used:
- (4) pieces of 1/4" all-thread that I cut from a long piece to about 4" - 4.5" [you could use bolts]
- (16) fender washers - 2 top & 2 bottom per stud
- (12) 1/4" nuts - 2 bottom & 1 top per stud
- (4) 1/4" wing nuts for easy attaching - 1 each top
I sent for another bottom grate from Weber. To that I attached the studs tightly to the new grate [nut, fender washer, grate, fender washer, nut]. Do this to make 4 corners. I added handles to the grate that I normally use and that goes on top for easy handling. Then attach the 2nd grate in the same manner useing the wing nuts on top. To take appart, just remove the wing nuts and the top fender washer, lift off top grate and replace fender washer & wing nut on stud to keep from losing.

My 4th grate, I found one that would fit inside the WSM dome, and attached it in the same way. The original grate has the handles, and the extra one goes on top. I hope that this is helpful.

Back