350 or low and slow???? Drippings? Rib Roast

Rob

TVWBB Fan
for standing rib roasts?

If I am going to go 350, wouldn't the Weber Grill be a better choice?

Also want the drippings, would putting the roast in a foil lasagna pan work?

300-350 indirect should be fine. I would place an aluminum pan under the cooking grate to collect the drippings though.

I'm picking one up tomorrow to cook on New Years. Gonna "Wet age" it for a week and plan on going 250-275º with a reverse sear. Either way is good, depending on what you want in the end.
icon_cool.gif

Bill

I did a Rib Roast on the Green Egg for Thanksgiving and doing one tomorrow for Christmas Eve dinner.

I used a 1/2 steam table pan with a grid insert as a roasting pan/rack combo and got a small amount of juices for to add to the gravy.

Pictures are here:
http://www.facebook.com/album....6888958&l=46c2544528

This cook was done at mostly 200-225 until the temp hit the doneness level, pulled the roast out to rest for 15 minutes and upped the temp of the grill to 500 and put the roast back in for 15 minutes to help the crust. Another 30 minute rest and dinner...

I just got my smoker yesterday so I can't comment about doing one in there yet, but I do mine low and slow in the oven with an initial blast of heat.

This is the way I do mine(pictoral):

I pull it out of the fridge at least 4 hours prior to cooking, put a decent rub on it, and smear the cut ends with some butter that has rub mixed into it:

sideshot3.jpg

Give it a nice blast of heat for the first 20-25 minutes as hot as the oven will go (this was a really small one so I did 18 minutes):

initialblast.jpg

Turn the heat down to 250 and let it go until internal temp is 108-112 and pull it out of the oven:
IMG_0076.jpg

Let it rest Until it comes up to 118-122 and serve:

outofoven-1.jpg

leftovers3-1.jpg

plated.jpg

Yes, I like my meat RARE. You might need to adjust the alarm for something higher than 108.
icon_smile.gif
Enjoy!

I use to be a med-well to well-done guy but over the last several years (mainly from this site), I've graduated to a rare to med-rare guy. That looks AWESOME !!!

Bill

Rob,

I've done a number of them, and can attest that Alton Brown's "reverse sear" method for rib roast is outstanding. Low and slow until 128 or so, rest covered until 135 or so, then sear at high heat for 15 minutes. I'll be doing just that and enjoying a great Christmas dinner with sweet potatoes and au jus. Best wishes on however you do yours. Merry Christmas.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rob:
Also want the drippings, would putting the roast in a foil lasagna pan work? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Kevin has a nice write-up on making Au Jus Here!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rob:
how about kettle vs. WSM for cooking the rib roasts at a higher temp... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's easier to get a higher temp on the kettle, but easier to maintain your target temp on the WSM, so pick your poison!

I had a hard time keeping the WSM at 300 unless I took the door off the side, which really made the temp shoot up. This made for an uneven cook in temp anywhere from 250 to 325. I made one inside at 400 for the first 40 minutes and 275 for the rest and it came out much better. Next time I think I'll use the kettle. WSM will be for slow and low
icon_smile.gif

I like the Weber grill with the rotisserie more than the WSM for rib roast. I have trouble keeping the smoker at 350. I start the roast at 450 for 10 minutes and then shut the vents down to get to 350 for 12 minutes per pound. Works great. Also you can place an aluminum tray under the roti to catch the drippings, so gravy or sauce is not out of the question.

I will say this, I did a low and slow prime rib on the WSM once (250 degrees around 25 minutes per pound). The results were marginally better than prime rib cooked hotter. The rare portions (reddish pink) was bigger even though the internal temp reached 128 degrees. I liked that. The problem was that the time requirement with low and slow was just too high for the marginal increase in quality.

Back