300 series knobs are caddy wompass????

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
Just picked up the special edition 300 series tonight. I noticed the knobs turn and are not true...as u turn them they end up rubbing against the steel front. Did I explain that good enough. I am not familiar with these fancy new grills just the older ones. Is this a knob issue or was too much pressure put on the manifold or knob stems by the movers and bent something? Surely this is a common thing. I will revisit the grill tomorrow.....just being lazy and askin u guys so i can sleep tonight

Attachments

• 20210206_201420.jpg
    20210206_201420.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 16
I think I get what you are saying. These grills can fall over forward in a high wind resulting in bent shafts on the valves. That may not be your problem, but you can rule it out by removing the knobs and examining the shafts. It might also be that your knobs have broken or worn out sleeves and aren’t seating properly.

Yikes.....if the valve shafts are bent.....is this fixable? All 3 knobs are like this...so a fall over is possible. I also know this grill was recently moved by a moving company so it was probably strapped in hard somehow somewhere.

I agree with Jon. Likely the grill sustained some damage and either mainfold, valves or front panel is bent.

My money is on the valves being bent. If it was the panel or the manifold the spacing would not alternate by turning the knobs. Might be able to straighten them out

If you are lucky, the valves just moved a bit on the manifold. You can also check if the stainless piece that covers the manifold is misalligned. If the valves are bent than getting a new (or used) manifold is probably your best option.

Well I got over to the shop to check out my caddywompass grill today ......Once the snow stopped the sun came out and it was prime grill cleanin' temperature. Wow this dark cherry color really cleans up nice! As it turns out only one of the stems has a left lean to it. Without feeling like digging in too deep I just lightly tapped the stem with a hammer to try to center it. I didnt think tapping it with a hammer was a good idea so I stopped quickly but it was enough to stop it from rubbing. The knobs all have good action to them so I think I am in the clear. The bad one if the far right...u cant even tell in the pic

Attachments

• 20210207_173008.jpg
    20210207_173008.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 7
I have the same issue with my right burner knob. Wind got a hold of the BBQ and it ended up in the yard. When winter ends I’ll have look and assess it then. Doesn’t affect performance, but it is annoying.

Ya it would drive me crazy if this was my keeper grill....I also noticed this a little bit in my last flip of a E310 or was it a 330? The one w the side burner but same thing one knob was wompy.....

I was thinking the same thing.....I was really just gently...tippy tappin.......but totally agree with you. I just listed it on FB but I will test before I sell. That color should be an easy flip....Im not even gunna bother going too crazy in the cook box area.

i picked up one just like that fri night love the color same problem just pushed it back in place and inspected no problems

Awe Larry......u know I dont like to disappoint you. I swear I was just using the hammer vs my big thump.......literally extremely light tippy tappin with a smaller style ball peen hammer........

So many people really don't realize how easily stuff like that can break (yes even with VERY light taps). Especially if they've been stressed once already

Yep.....I was factoring in that I have had those valves apart and in my hands many times........I just wanted to see without disassembling the front of the grill......if the valve body was mounted to somethin flimsy and if it would move easily. It didnt move with my tapping......I think removing and reinstalling the knob is what got me the clearance.

Back