30" Slate Griddle -

Mike Jenkins

I recently purchased a 30" propane slate griddle about 2 month ago. I have been eyeballing it for several months and then had a pool party planned for my birthday and my wife and I decided to pull the trigger. I was going to purchase the natural gas version, but didn't have the gas line ran yet and didn't have time to get it ran before the party, so I thought I would just buy the propane version and then convert it later once I have time to install a gas line to the location. Well that time is now and surprise, just found out that Weber does not recommend converting them. I am pissed at myself but never even thought to look into this as I have seen conversion kits for other griddles and figured it wasn't a big deal. I have searched this forum regarding this and it sounds like the best thing to do is to get replacement manifold/valves. With that being said I have searched for it but having trouble locating one. Does anyone know if the manifold for the slate is used on other weber grills or is it a whole new manifold made specifically for the slate? I really do not want to keep replacing propane tanks. I have already gone through 1 tank and do not believe I have used it that much. Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

If you could find one in the wild with a NG hookup, you could use the SN off that to order a NG replacement from Weber. Just tell them yours tipped over and bent the snot out of the manifold and you want to buy a replacement.

If you're going to keep this one for a while, it might be worth it to get a second propane tank. Having a full one ready when needed makes things much easier.
I have six in various places, and not a gas grill in the mix right now! Patio heater, fryer ( waaaaay in the back of the garage) soon I hope to have the gas grill up and huffing along! The rest are backup!

I have 2 - 20lb tanks on hand at all times....My newer one has a gauge up near the valve that is fairly accurate.
The Slate is the only thing I use propane for and I have found that the propane actually lasts me a long time.....I would guess that becasue when I use the Slate......the cook comes off really fast......I have never cooked food as fast as the Slate can produce it.
2 or more tanks is your answer, changing them is simple, takes me about 1 minute.....if you had say 5 tanks you would only have to run out and get them filled only a couple times per year.........I have my refill location near my work so it's easy, I just refill when I empty one and have a full one on hand ready to go when that happens.

Thank you all for the ideas. I do have a 2nd tank, and try to keep one full one on hand at all times. But you guys know how things go. Currently the one I just changed that is empty has been sitting in my garage for about 2 weeks. I walk by it multiple times a day and tell myself I need to go get that filled tonight or later and well other things seem to become a priority. LOL

I have not really looked into it but is it better to cook with propane vs natural gas? I am only thinking about the convenience of it all on not having to ever go get a refill.

I think most people here would say NG is the preferred fuel. I don't think it really performs any differently than LP, but it is more convenient and less expensive. The only other issue I can think of is that propane is great if you need/want to move your grill around.

Thank you all for the ideas. I do have a 2nd tank, and try to keep one full one on hand at all times. But you guys know how things go. Currently the one I just changed that is empty has been sitting in my garage for about 2 weeks. I walk by it multiple times a day and tell myself I need to go get that filled tonight or later and well other things seem to become a priority. LOL

I have not really looked into it but is it better to cook with propane vs natural gas? I am only thinking about the convenience of it all on not having to ever go get a refill.
One is not "better" than the other. They're just different with different levels of convenience. I prefer NG because I have it here and then no need to run out and fill tanks. Not everyone has it or wants it though.

One is not "better" than the other. They're just different with different levels of convenience. I prefer NG because I have it here and then no need to run out and fill tanks. Not everyone has it or wants it though.
I’ve got a line out to somewhere in the driveway but, I don’t remember where it ended, there was an old burned out pedestal grill out there which I gave away never considered using it for a Weber!

It is all safely capped and shut off, I just don’t remember exactly where the pipe is! I’m pretty good within a 16” circle. I suppose I could call “Miss Dig” and get it run to a better spot without too much trouble. Maybe next spring…
Just walk around with a match :D

Back