3 racks of spares - updated with pics

t wright

TVWBB Member
I read here very often but post very little, it's been since New Years since I've smoked anything. This is for multiple reasons, high cholesterol (at age 26) and an extreme lack of time (2 jobs).

With that said, I'm extremely excited about what today has to offer

- beam and coke
- 3 racks of spares (trimmed st. louis style)
- free time

I'll post some pics when I'm done. This is only the 2nd time I've done any ribs. I got 2 racks for 1.50/lb and then 1 rack for 1.99/lb (they ran out at one store.)

Still don't really know what I'll do with the trimmings. I don't have any room left on the smoker at this point. Any suggestions?

Hope everyone enjoys their long weekends. Thanks to everyone for helping me learn so much from here. Last time I did spares I just did about 5 hours with no foil. This time I'm going to try to 3-2-1 method...I've read through the archives and see where some people like 4-1-1 or 3-1-1 or any other combo of things...I plan on foiling for at least an hour, then i'll go from there..

I understand the lack off time issue, I live for the weekends when I can actually slow down and do some cooking and enjoy the end results.
Good luck with your cook and enjoy thos Beam & cokes.

Yeah enjoy the beam & Coke. For spares I usually set aside 6 hours. I never use foil. I just put them on with the temp. around 225-250. At around the 5 hour mark I use a toothpick to see if they are done. They are done when the toothpick goes through the meat like it is warm butter. Once you get that feeling with the toothpick you'll know what I mean.

The reason I don't use foil is it is just another step. I'd rather use the time drinking my Beam & Coke and playing cornhole. But if you do use foil it will speed the time up. But I don't think I would go more than an hour or an hour and a half.

good word on the toothpick...last time i did spares i had one rack that was done, so i took the other 2 off as well, but they weren't ready...lesson learned for this time

cornhole is the only thing missing for today...i agree with the "just another step" as well, but i want to try it at least one time..i'm thinging between an hour to 1.5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jason Pedu:
For spares I usually set aside 6 hours. I never use foil. I just put them on with the temp. around 225-250. At around the 5 hour mark I use a toothpick to see if they are done. They are done when the toothpick goes through the meat like it is warm butter. Once you get that feeling with the toothpick you'll know what I mean. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I do the exact same thing, simple and it works. I see no reason to make things more complicated than they have to be.

IMG_6346.jpg

IMG_6348.jpg

Everything turned out great...the ribs were perfect in my opinion...tender, easy to pull apart, but not mushy fall of the bone...

Back