3 butt smoke

Mike aka Sewer

Question, I have 3 8lb (pre-trimmed) butts going on the cooker tonight. Should I put the two on the top grate or bottom? Also, if planning on serving food about 2:00pm on Saturday, about what time should they go on tonight? I'm thinking 10:00pm?

Any and all opinions welcome!

If you can fit them on the top grate I'd keep them there. Makes it easier to check the meat and the temperatures may be differen't on the top and bottom grates. Not a ton but some. Also figure 10-14 hours for cooking and at least 45min-1hr of resting time before you pull the meat. 10pm should give you enough time. Good luck and post lots of pics of the finished goods.

If you can fit them on the top grate I'd keep them there. Makes it easier to check the meat and the temperatures may be differen't on the top and bottom grates. Not a ton but some. Also figure 10-14 hours for cooking and at least 45min-1hr of resting time before you pull the meat. 10pm should give you enough time. Good luck and post lots of pics of the finished goods.

Ditto what Matt said.

I've had 3 about that size and the top grate was too tight for all of them without touching. I put 2 on the bottom, 1 on top and switched them after 6 hours.

10 hours should be plenty of time, but you always want to start early because they'll hold for hours. Best of luck man.

Back