3-2-1 vs 3-1-2

I've mentioned before that my wife likes ribs that are falling off the bone. Personally, I find FOTB ribs not as satisfying as what I can get my teeth into. Nonetheless, She Who Must Be Obeyed deserves to eat what she likes. so, today, while she is out of town travelling, I will make two racks of ribs, one using the standard 3-2-1 method, and the other using the 3-1-2 method. I'm hoping the latter results in something everyone can enjoy. Will report back.

Mike

I'm doing the exact same thing this afternoon. I got some Kentucky Coffee Bean wood that I wanted to try so I'm splitting up a batch of ribs.

I plan on further saucing half of them and taking them all to a cook-out this eve for samples. We'll see what happens.

Due to moderate alcohol poisoning, I got the batches mixed up so I'll have to try again.
icon_smile.gif

I can report that one batch was tender to the point of being mushy and I'm pretty sure that was foiled the longest. While I preferred the ribs that were only foiled for an hour, most of the tasters seemed to like the mushy ribs the best.

The smoke flavor semed to be similar to hickory but I'm afraid my taste buds aren't that sensative. It does seem to be a rather strong flavor and I'm going to use less the next try.

Everybody that ate these loved them but then again we were all friends of the tree that was sacrificed so that probably had some influence on their opinion. I saved the trimmings from the slab and will attempt a more controlled (sober)test tonight.

Kentucky Coffee Bean

Ah, yes, many a scientific experiment has gone awry due to available poisons... Mine, however, did not. The 2 hour ribs were quite soft and FFTB, while the one hours were nicely tender and my preferrred style. I'm sure my wife will like the two hour ribs, esp when covered in sauce. In fact, for her, I might even try a 4 - 2 combo.

Cheers,
Mike

Great reports guys. I am not a fan of FFTB either, this is good guidance is I decide to foil.

Phil - you have an extra "http://url=" in your link. Is that tree also known as chickory?

Jim

Back