2nd time for foil

Jeffery

TVWBB Member
I've had my wsm for about 2 yrs now and have foiled ribs once, today I thought I'd give the foil another shot, lighty trimmed spares 3hrs over small apple and pecan wood chunks, going for 1 hr in foil with a bit of maple syrup and butter for an hour or less then back on the cooker. Have I fallen off the deep end?

Originally posted by Jeffery:
Have I fallen off the deep end?
No!
As long as You like the outcome!
I don't foil ribs, but whatever works for ya!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Tim

Nope. Nothing wrong with foil. I havent for years, but did last on the last. I enjoyed them

ended up 3hrs open 50 min foil 50 back on cooker open.after the foil,the rib ends were out about 1/2 inch but meat was'nt toothpick tender, It eventually happened tho! meat did'nt fall off the bone,I was not looking for that outcome! another successful cook!

I haven't foiled ribs yet but I do for high heat brisket, & I foiled for some high heat butts a few weeks ago. Foil is a great tool. Shoot, it seems like a year since I've done ribs....got some beef ones in the fridge though.

I've actually started foiling Boston Butt and really like the results there. Cook normal for 7ish hours at 225-250, foil for 2ish hours, and then unfoil (with some more rub to firm up the bark) for another 2ish hours. I really like the results.

But ribs..... my best have been non-foiled. But perhaps I just don't have enough experience foiling yet.

I've had good luck foiling butts and brisket too. I go low sugar so I don't get that dark sugar carmelization that looks so great. So for ribs I usually go the 6 hrs "open" so I can get more mahogony color than if I use foil. I spritz as well.

But in CO I can't get the temps I need with water so foiling the brisket and butts helps them cook without drying out and I get planty of smoke on them with pecan, apple and mesquite (beef only).

I always foil ribs. Two and a half hours at 275 degrees, then a half hour in foil with 1/4 cup of apple juice. I did a small pork butt this weekend and foiled that too. Foil helps get the tenderness you want. You just have to be careful not to overdo it or you end up with mush.

Originally posted by Dave Penn:
You just have to be careful not to overdo it or you end up with mush.

Agree, and you have to be careful not to add too much liquid to the foil. My foiled ribs were too mushy and I cut back on foiled time and also the amount of AJ I was using and the results were much better.

Back