2nd smoke...whole pork loin

Keith T

Sorry I didn't take any pictures...I truly intended to. We were at our Sam's Club on Sunday around lunch time and I was perusing the meat dept looking for something to strike my fancy. We were already committed to grilling burgers for dinner, but I was looking for something (other than poultry) that I could put on the WSM during the afternoon to dine on during the week. I found and selected a 9.3 lb whole pork loin that was just huge.

I started a chimney of Kingsford and went inside and trimmed (very little actually) and rubbed with a quick blend of brown sugar, paprika, cinnamon, cayenne, Emeril's Essence, and a little salt. I let it rest and went to check my chimney....dang thang had fizzled (note to self: buy the Weber chimney this one is a POS) The good part was the rub got to sit longer on the loin. Finally got a fire going and put about half a ring of Kingsford in and poured the lit on top. Added about 3 big hunks of maple (had just come in from Hawgeyes) and let it go.

I checked on here for some advice on time/temp and found the 140-145 internal recommendation. Mine had hit this after about 1.5 hours, but just did not look or feel "done". I left it for an additional hour until I had 155 internal. The last 30 minutes I basted with a blend of honey, OJ, cranberry cocktail, grape jelly, Lea & Perrin steak sauce and pepper.

Our hamburger guests were begging me to slice that pork loin based on the aroma when I brought it in to rest. We did end up sampling (how could you not?) and it was mighty tasty, though they were more enthused about it than I. Don't get me wrong, it's gonna be good vittles, but the smoke taste was just a bit strong. I had never used maple and thought it was supposed to be pretty mild. I'm wondering if my chunks were not fully aged, as there was quite a bit of smoke belching from the WSM....any thoughts?????

Oh, and the temp about 4" below the lid vent ran a steady 255 until I cranked it up at the end to cook that baste/glaze.

KT

How big were the big hunks of wood? Fist size? Maple sounds like an excellent choice with pork. I would think that wood coming from a commercial vendor would be good and dry. I have read where some people have no problem with green wood, but I personally wouldn't want to try it. Sounds like the roast came out pretty good. Is the inner meat very smokey or just the bark?

IMHO, I don't think that such a lean cut can really benefit from low temp cooking. My advice would be to raise the temp to around 325 and that puppy will be done in 1.5 hrs or less. That might help with the oversmoking too. Not only will you be spending less time in the cooker but you can get a cleaner burning fire that way too. If you're dead set on cooking loins at 250ish, maybe you can let the wood burn down a bit before putting the meat on. You don't want to see billowing clouds of white, maybe just a wisp of blue. HTH.

Paul,
The wood chunks were about fist-sized. The loin, after cooking was about 4-4.5" diameter and had a smoke-ring that went about 1/4 to 1/2" deep. The center portion of the loin was definitely less smoky. I only sampled a slice off one end, too so that will make a difference. I'll let you guys know how it is when we have it for dinner tonight.

Kirk,
preburning might have helped. My bag of commercially packed pecan chunks from the local sporting good/bbq store didn't smoke nearly this much, so I'm leaning toward a slightly green batch of wood....I'll have to use less or pre-burn for a while with it. I also don't disagree with you on the higher temp. I usually will put the loins on my gas grill rotisserie burner, but wanted to experiment a little for that "smokehouse cured pork" taste.

BTW..I think the smoky flavor will make for good sandwich slices...done real thin and served with a provolone or swiss.

KT

I've used maple before.

It's flavor is very distinctive. I am not sure it was a complement to the foods I had cooked.

Some people swear by it.

The flavor isn't bitter, just not to our liking. I ended up burning the rest of the hurricane maple in the fireplace.

I'd also confirm the advice given earlier about the pork loin. Cook it hotter and quicker, as it's a very lean piece of meat.

I usually end up stuffing it, or at minimum brining a loin as the cut of meat is pretty much flavorless.

Thanks Craig. The smell and taste was pretty distinctive. I will say that it was very moist and tender and not dried out at all.

I smoked a pork loin also this weekend. I have been wanting to do one for quite a while and was pretty worried about it coming out dry - so I brined it for 12 hours, applied a mustard slather with a fairly mild rub and put her on 250 for 2.5 hours with Apple wood.

It came out absolutely fantastic and a very light smoke flavor. Made some thin slices and had Cuban sammies last night. I have to say the loin came out as tender as a good beef tenderloin - I could cut an inch thick chop with a fork.

IMHO I think you used too much wood I would compare a loin to a turkey you need to use very little wood 1 fist size chunk would have done you just fine and i think Maple was a great choice, I have done many loins and find that 1 fist size chunk and the flavor from the kingsford is all you need

Just out of curiosity are you sure it is maple. I smoked some ribs with green maple and they tasted like I poured maple syrup over them. They were absolutely yummy.

One other possibility is there are hard wood maples and softwood maples. I only cut up the hardwood variety. Getting from a store you could end up with either. I have no idea what the taste difference would be, if any. I just know I have read that any maple can be used for syrup but the hardwood varieties net better sap. I believe that is in quantity not quality.

Keith,

We love pork loins, and cooked properly can produce the finest "pork chop" you've ever eaten.

Sounds to me like just too much wood was used, and I'd definitely pre burn. I usually use apple with my loins.

I think the other most common mistake is to overcook these pieces of meat. I used to take them to 150 or 155. They were always dry. I now cook them hotter, 300 or so, at least try to, and pull them at 137-140. Juices explode out of them but there is the faintest tinge of pink at the center.

We routinely buy the whole one at sams, cut it into thirds, freeze two, cook one and have left overs for the week. If you happen to over cook a little, slice it as thin as you can. Believe me, it makes great sandwich stuffer.

Thanks everybody. I will agree that there was probably too much wood. As for the type of maple....I wouldn't have a clue. Being a Texas Gulf Coast native and family in east Texas piney woods doesn't give one much experience with these "yankee woods"
icon_razz.gif

The meat turned out pretty tender and moist, we had it last night with mashed taters and beans. But I think the best part is yet to come...I already thin-sliced a bunch and have a sammich in the fridge for lunch today at work! I think the meat tastes even better cold on this particular loin. Next time I'll try less wood (preburned too) and pull it much quicker than I did this one.

KT

Back