2nd Smoke - Spare Ribs and 1/2 Rack BB's

Teddy J.

TVWBB Pro
This was my 2nd smoke on my WSM that arrived Thursday. Lit using MM w/ 13 Kingston briguettes in chimney starter, 1/2 full ring in charcoal bowl, 2 hickory chunks, and BRITU rub (diff. cooking method though).

wsm060808_1.jpg

3 hrs on smoker, 1 hr foiled w/ apple juice baste, 30 minutes unfoiled. 250 degrees for first 3 hrs, 265-275 for the remainder. Hands down the best ribs I've EVER cooked, and better than any rib bought at a resteraunt since I can remember. Spares were so good I didn't even think it needed BBQ sauce.

All thanks is owed to this website for a great meal.

Hahaha, thanks!

I'm telling you James, if a newbie like me can turn out ribs like this - boy am I in for a treat when I have a few more smokes under my belt!

Spare ribs in 4 1/2 hours, that's amazing. Mine normally take nearly 7 hours and sometimes a just a bit tougher than I'd like. Good job!

By the way how did you post your pictures directly to the site without a link or hosting site? The wife and I have yet to figure that out, but it seems to be the way to go.
Thanks....Chris

Thanks for the kind words -

And Chris, head over to photobucket.com and setup an account. Once you upload the file, it will show you 4 options for linking the pictures. You want to use the 'Direct Link' one. Copy that to clipboard, and when you make the post, hit the picture icon when you're creating the message and paste the link into the box, hit ok, and you're all set.

Well done! Interesting. I cooked up 4 racks of St. Louis trimmed spares yesterday and cook time was similar - as In shorter than I expected.

I cooked at 250 deg the whole time. 2 hours, then 1 hour foiled, then 1 hour unfoiled. Probably could have pulled them a half hour sooner one of the lighter racks over cooked just a little, the other 3 were just right - toothpick through without resistance, and almost cracking in half when lifting them.

Great job Mitch! Its too funny. I used to take pictures of everything I smoked when I first got my WSM about a year and a half ago. You're right. Afterwhile when you get confident, you'll bee in for a real treat! Wait for your first "overnighter". Those are fun. I strongly recommend an ET-73. I just did 23.25#s of Spares Saturday. That took 6 1/2 hrs. of smokin' time but, some of the smaller slabs started coming off after 5 hrs. (I don't foil though, I just baste). Good luck.

Thanks again for all the comments, I appreciate it.

You know what's funny, before the WSM I loved BB's over spares, but after taking presentation into account, spares are my choice!

Back