2nd cook on the WSM

S Riddell

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey everyone! This is my second cook on my WSM, for this one I did some turkey breast for sandwich meat, pork side ribs and some ABTs for dinner. Used Nature's Grilling briqs with 2 chunks cherry and 1 hunk hickory. Was shooting for the 225-250 range. Had the WSM set up on my porch out of the wind, so it cooked a little hotter than I was anticipating. At one point my lid thermometer was reading 270 with water in the pan and all that meat inside! I also basted the breasts and ribs a few times with some apple juice.

Ribs and breasts rubbed and ready to go. Ribs were rubbed with "Butt rub". Breasts were brined with a simple brine of kosher salt and brown sugar overnight, then rubbed with "Memphis" rub from Steven Raichlen's book.
134_zpsa4d4f990.jpg

135_zps321d7032.jpg

Breasts and 3 half racks on the top, 5 half racks on the bottom (first time using both racks).
136_zpsfa2d5765.jpg

Breasts ready
139_zpsf8c44349.jpg

ABTs on. This was my first time making these and the first time that everyone had them. They were already requested for my grandpa's birthday next month!
138_zps790e31e3.jpg

Was hungry and had to dig in, so I almost forgot a plated pic! Since my hands were already saucy, my wife took it for me lol. Ribs were served with sauce on the side, since not everyone likes sauce on them. The sauce is my own, which I refer to my sweet and spicy sauce.
140_zps5406b1ee.jpg

141_zpsa662a66f.jpg

And the rest of the family enjoying the meal!
142_zps73af46c7.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Looks like a perfect cook! Nothing wrong with a cook like that! I love those turkey roasts for sandwich meat...I haven't found any yet around my parts!

...and Uncle Dennis is over there saying, "Why do people INSIST on snapping pictures during suppertime??!!" :D
Scott, only ONE pepper on your plate?! C'mon man, dig in! ;)
Everything looks Dynamite!!

Dave - sorry for not replying yet, I've been away for work. The recipe for the sauce is very similar to this one

Jim - only had one pepper on my plate because that was the lsat one left! Also the unsauced ribs on my plate were covering up a pile of bones!! I'll have to remember to take a pic BEFORE I start eating next time lol

Thanks for the compliments!

Back