2nd cook, it's gonna be a brisket--HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Force

Howdy all you pro's from Dover, and wherever...

I'm planning on doing a brisket on my new WSM this weekend (only my second cook), and I'm going to use the method described in the Cooking Topics section of this site for the "Midnight Cook", except I plan to start mine VERY early in the morning this coming Saturday. My plan is to consume beef around 6-7 PM. So my question centers around the brisket we bought.

It is a beautiful 14.3 lb. USDA Choice cut, purchased cryovac'd from our local butcher shop. After reading the recipe and several posts, it looks as though if I leave it whole it should take between 15 and 20 hours at 225-250 deg F. My questions are as follows:

1) It is too long to fit on the rack, by about an inch or two. Do I leave it whole and squish it, or...

2) ...cut it half, placing each half on its' own rack, and therefor cut the cooking time in half (or does it work this way)?

The way I read the "Midnight Cook" recipe, he had two briskets, both around 11 lbs, and it took around 12 hours for them to reach optimal temp. Does this mean two 7 lb. briskets will only take about 8 hrs? Or should I leave it whole for best results?

Any input would be greatly appreciated! And by the way, our first cook was a huge rack of pork ribs, cooked for 4 hrs at 225 avg temp, then the last hour at 275. The meat fell off the bones, and my wife agreed that they were better than any I had "slo-cooked" on my Weber kettle.

And I owe it all to everyone who came before me on these sacred pages...this site has definitely taken the mystery and apprehension out of q'ing for me! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

You might be able to leave it whole by arching it over a rib rack or the like. If you choose to split it up, it might be best to separate the point from the flat-- they cook at different rates anyway.

Doug, thanks for the "tenting" idea...I hadn't thought of that. Why squish if you can make a mountain out of a molehill?

You mentioned the point and flat cook at different rates...for this novice, when you're cutting them apart, where does the flat stop and the point begin? If I were to separate them, I assume I'd start the flat first (it just SOUNDS right), but how long after would I put on the point (or have I got this backwards)? And does this mean that each piece still only requires 1 to 1 1/2 hours per pound? Or does one take less per hour than the other? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

In other words, no matter what the size of the brisket, is the standard 1 to 1 1/2 hrs per lb. if kept intact? And if so, should I choose to keep it whole, should I really plan on 15+ hours for a 14.3# brisket?

The point is fattier and takes longer to reach target temp than the flat does. The flat is leaner and less forgiving as regards failure-to-baste-or-mop, and benefits from an intact 1/4 to 1/2" fat cap to provide moisture during the cook. Separating them requires identifying the vein of fat and connective tissue that runs between them-- they both taper to a lesser thickness where they meet. If you do separate them, monitor the flat for your target temp-- it should be done first-- and then the point for doneness.

The flat makes for classic sliced brisket, whereas the point is best shredded-- like pulled pork-- for sandwiches or fajitas or carnitas or ABTs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Force:
[qb]It is too long to fit on the rack, by about an inch or two. Do I leave it whole and squish it, or...[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Leave it whole. Just shoe-horn it between the handles on the top grate. That bad boy will shrink substantially in a few hours, no worries.

Have fun,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
[qb] Leave it whole. Just shoe-horn it between the handles on the top grate. That bad boy will shrink substantially in a few hours, no worries.

Have fun,
Chris [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That is exactly how I did a whopping 15-pounder over the 4th weekend. It shrinks up pretty quick.
Gary T

Thanks for the feedback!

Okay, I'm gonna leave it whole...now, is this 14 pounder really gonna take over 15 hours? I'm trying to determine how early I gotta get up so we can munch around 6-7 PM. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Even with my limited experience with cooking large things, yes. 15+ hours is accurate. To be safe, you should probably start at midnight, (or even sooner) as the method suggests. The brisket will hold its temp well if you finish early, wrap it up in foil and store in a small ice chest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back