2nd Chuck Roll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brett_Roundy

TVWBB Fan
Last weekend's Chuck Roll turned out incredible. I took the remaining 8 pounds or so into work on Friday...talk about a feeding frenzy /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Just pulled this weekend's Chuck Roll off the WSM...22 1/2 punds, this one took 27 1/2 hours, cooked it a bit cooler, around 200-220 at the lid...same rub but used plum wood and basted with a plum wine at about 12 hours...

I think I like these chuck rolls better than brisket, and at $1.85/pound at Cash&Carry, what a deal /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I agree!!! I LOVE CHUCK ROLLS!!!

The last half dozen that I have done... I have split them in half, into 2 10+ pound chunks, and then injector marinated them.

The only reasons that I ever even cook a brisket anymore is (1) when I want sliced beef or (2) just to practice at that cut of meat.

It is funny how we evolve in our BBQing. I remember... when I started... I was doing Baby Backs, Chicken and an infrequent attempt at a Brisket.

Now... I do bunches of Pork Butts, a number of Chuck Rolls, some Sausages, some Spares, Brisket every month or so and Turkey Breast once in a blue moon.

Is a chuch roll know by any other names? I want to do one for SuperBowl Sunday, but can't even get by the start line at the moment.

I am with Vince on this one... What is a chuck roll? 27 hrs!!! Thats my kind of cooking.

What part of the cow is the chuck roll? Where is it in relation to the brisket? I know that the brisket is the underside of the neck. I've never done, or for that matter, had a chuck roll either. I'd love to do one. Is it similar in consistancy to the point on a bisket?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Clay:
[qb] What part of the cow is the chuck roll?[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The Chuck Roll article answers this question and includes some photos, to boot.

Regards,
Chris

Chris, thanks! By now I should know to search the cooking topics before asking a question like that. Thanks again.

Has anyone seen these at Sams? I can only find Chuck Roast, and that's obviously much more expensive, and definately not the same thing.

This seems to be my problem as well. I can't say that I've ever seen a chuck roll in a store. Do you need to ask for them? I just got two butts for Sunday. I'm going to do a brisket on bottom as well. I'd love to do a chuck roll one of these days. I'll try asking at the local market.

Jim & Kirk
Yes, Sam's carries chuck rolls. They're cryovac only and today's price was $2.36/lb. You have to ask, because the butcher cuts them to make smaller chuck roasts for retail.

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back