2nd Butt of the season

Phil Perrin

TVWBB Hall of Fame
The missus and I are going on vacation next weekend,so to see our godson,we are having our favorite. Yep,Phil-b-que! Butts were on sale at the grocery store, so it was a no brainer. Just not crazy about getting up at 5:30 AM to put it on! Oh well,the sacrifices I make for my passion!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

*Sigh* You gents put me in the mood with your posts. Personally, I'm off to work!
icon_mad.gif

Have a great day and great BBQ!
icon_biggrin.gif

No you guy's are not alone. This is the 1st Sat in months that I haven't gotten up at the wee hours to load the WSM.

Gonna do a big pork loin on high heat this afternoon though.

Got a chuck roll going that I put on last night. Ate my bacon and eggs with the birds this morning.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dale Perry:
Fired the smoker up at 5:30am and had 4 butts on at 6:30am. Life is good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Dale, Will be over tonight for some dinner
icon_biggrin.gif

Mine is finishing up,with a pot of beans underneath. I've had a couple neighbors ask me what was cooking! Can't wait!

Just curious on the times to start cooking.

I tend to put everything on the night before and run at about 200 overnight. The butts finish up the next afternoon so I wrap them and either throw in a cooler (for a later dinner) or cover with towels (for an earlier eat).

Am I messing something up?

/r

Allen

Nope. You are doing fine! You've learned the basic rule,it's done when it's done. The grocery store had butts on sale,two to a package ,cryovaced. I put the smaller one on,estimating the weight at 6 lbs. So,at 1.5-2 hours a pound,I put it on just before 6 AM,and it got done about 5PM. Esay-peasy!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dale Perry:
Neighbors. Im making them suffer right now.
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>That's when mine show up and impose a 'smoke tax'. They've learned I make samplers.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Allen:
Just curious on the times to start cooking.

I tend to put everything on the night before and run at about 200 overnight. The butts finish up the next afternoon so I wrap them and either throw in a cooler (for a later dinner) or cover with towels (for an earlier eat).

Am I messing something up?

/r

Allen </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We eat late at my house, so starting a cook the night before leaves too much time to rest.

I put my meat on at 5:30, pulled the brisket off at 4:45 and the butts were both done at 5:00. They will rest a good 4 hours or so before eating.

Allen. When I used a WSM for the big meats I always started somewhere between 8pm-12pm. If the bullet was at maximum load, I have had it take me 20 hours to get the meat done. It just matters how much meat and what temp you cook at. With my newer smoker I can cook 2 butts in 7 hours, 4 butts around 10hrs. The more mass you have the longer it takes in WSMs and my Spicewine too.

Thanks Dale,

That is how I had done previous long cooks, but the one I'm doing right now I intentionally started earlier (about 4:00 yesterday afternoon) and wanted to try lower temps (185 vice 225).

The changes were based on my last couple of results. The butts didn't get quite as done as I'd like and the brisket didn't render the fat out like we'd like. I may be ruining some good meat, but we'll see how it all comes out.

I just checked everything; fuel looks good, based the butts with some apple cider vinegar and I bumped the temp up to 200. The center of the brisket seems to have stalled at about 154; I expected a stall but thought it would hit at a higher temp. The smoker temp dropped to about 170 thru the night, but rebounded fine with a tweak on the lower vents.

/r

Allen

Here's a pic of the brisket. Wasn't done as much as I like, but good nonetheless. Felt tender when I pulled it, but I knew it had a long rest ahead so I think I pulled it a bit sooner than needed. Flavor was good, though. Smoke ring was decent too.

Brisket032710Large.jpg

Back