2nd brisket

G Rose

TVWBB Member
I am doing my 2nd brisket in the wsm tonight and I have a couple of questions. first let me say that this is a very good (choice) brisket with nice marbeling. I am planong to go low and slow 225 to 250. my first question is how long should I expect I am thinking about 1.25 hours per pound. next is does everyone think foiling is neccesary? I smoked many briskets of this quality for work years ago at 200-225 without any sort of foiling with great results, but this was with a large comercial smoker with a seperate fire box below (very even heat). Most turned out great some better. will the wsm's less even heat be a problem? I really like to keep it traditional as much as possible and skip the foil unless it will have a marked improvement. I do not like to foil simply to speed up the process and feel that rushing the q tends to toughen the q. what do you folks think?

I foil primarily to save most of the juices. If you're not interested in that, then not foiling should not create a problem.

I foil my my water pan with crumpled foil between and sort of deglaze later for my suace. I also foil and rest for at least 2 hours after cooking and reserve those juices. I guess I am wondering more about the quality of the meat itself to me everything else is secondary.

Back