2nd Boston Butt

Well, The first time i tried to do Pulled pork i had around 10 pound but and it ended up taking more time than i allowed and wasn't very tender when i upped the temp to get it done.

So i figured i would try again and this time with less pounds and with better timing.

I had 2 butts at 4.3 lbs each. I did not trim the fat cap on the bottom of each. I did cook with the fat cap down. I rubbed these the night before with Chris Lilly's rub and then used a finishing sauce that i got from another post.

I cooked these at around 250 degrees for almost 8 hours, pulled them at 195 degrees and then let them sit for an hour in HD foil. Before i pulled them i did use a prob to see how they felt and it did go in without resistance so i thought they were good. My prob thermometer was left on so the battery was dead so i did not get a temperature of the butts all around. Just the temp from my Maverick.

I'm assuming again they were not fully cooked. They did not pull easily. the bone did not fall out. They tasted fine but it took me awhile to pull it.

I guess i'll try again and just cook it till the bone falls out.

Cooking by temperature can be very frustrating and not very accurate. Also try probing in a couple places before you take it off cooker.

It's a lot easier to hold something warm after it's done than to try and hurry something up to finish. I usually figure out how long I think something will take to cook and then add 2hrs. It has cut way back on the angry looks from my wife and the impatient looks from my guests.

I would advise against listening to people telling you to pull the meat off at 195F. IME, you really can't cook the large meats to temp. I really don't care what other people do...

I cook them until they are done, meaning that large chunk of tough, white meat in the middle of the butt is tender. That has usually been 202-206 in the last 12+ months. Yeah, I know, I say don't cook to temp, but I occasionally slide the Thermapen in just to see.

Back