28lb fresh turkey w/pics, questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
You gotta remember the differences in the exchange rate so a 28 pound bird Canadian would be about 18 pounds American.

'Tis the season for turkeys. I did a 12 pound Butterball last weekend (17 pounds Canadian) and it was great. Basically used the Cook's Illustrated method (breast down for the first hour then breast up for the duration). Left the water pan empty and used it as shield against flareups. It took around 2 1/2 hours at 325 - 340. Used a lot less smoke wood (1 chunk pecan, 2 of apple) so mine turned out a mahogany color.

Have a great weekend!

BTW - I know exchange rates don't apply to weights. Just trying to keep the conversation lively.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Aha!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
blue smoke is bad?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ken Nelson:
You gotta remember the differences in the exchange rate so a 28 pound bird Canadian would be about 18 pounds American.

'Tis the season for turkeys. I did a 12 pound Butterball last weekend (17 pounds Canadian) and it was great. Basically used the Cook's Illustrated method (breast down for the first hour then breast up for the duration). Left the water pan empty and used it as shield against flareups. It took around 2 1/2 hours at 325 - 340. Used a lot less smoke wood (1 chunk pecan, 2 of apple) so mine turned out a mahogany color.

Have a great weekend!

BTW - I know exchange rates don't apply to weights. Just trying to keep the conversation lively. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> sounds great Ken, I really enjoy poultry from WSM ... man, growing up, couldn't eat grandma's turkey without a lot of cranberries or gravy ... it was always so dry! poultry done on WSM has come out very moist and tender and I think I like this brining business except that it's a lot of work ...

you shoulda seen me fighting with this thing early in the morning in my pjs, bare legs covered in brine with wings and legs flopping around, trying to mount the bird on the roaster ... It might have been a worthwhile vid for Funnies Home videos except for all the cussing I did
icon_smile.gif

Pretty funny, Ken
icon_biggrin.gif

Pretty funny, Shawn
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shawn W:

blue smoke is bad? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep.

Soot is the condensation of gasses that occurs with the incomplete combustion of wood when it's heated.
That would seem to be the source of your skin problem.

I'm a food guy. I do not presume to understand the dynamics of wood consumption as it relates to barbecue and grilling (so perhaps Jim Minion or another so experienced will correct me) but food is best cooked over embers or wood or briquettes, not over flame nor in smoke. Doing so means you're cooking over fuel not fully combusted and opening yourself (rather, your food) up to soot collection.

I'd posit that the Minion Method works so well (notwithstanding all the unlit fuel) because you're creating a restricted environment (of air and space) that allows combustion to take place slowly. The already well-lit fuel that you use when you start the MM makes moot--or mitigates--the soot potential.

As an expat abroad, I really have to get a Turkey going this year. I really miss Thanksgiving ++. It's really hard to replicate over here...
I have a a rib session planned for the first week of Nov. I think I should get a Turkey for the Thanksgiving weekend. I'll insist, I've not done a Turkey, but I would really like to finally get that non-dry Turkey

OH Shawn...but where was the other half...she could have been taking pics or even better vid footage for us to see.......would have been a pretty funny post LOL.......sounded like the end product came out well though....the one I did awhile back came out great. Used lots of butter up under the skin.....very tender cook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back