27# of Turkey parts

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Bought two 18# birds and cooking 1.5 birds for Thanksgiving which is our contribution to dinner for 25+ people. Others are making sides and a ham and more.

For my remaining half bird, I deboned the breast and wrapped and froze that and wrapped and froze the leg, thigh, wing and the part that goes over the fence last, all for future dinner cooks.

So, into a 5% brine, 1825 ml apple cider and 800 ml water, fresh crushed garlic, bay leaves, black pepper and two sliced oranges, one in each 2-gallon ziplock bag. The bags are mostly even with turkey pieces.

This will all marry until tomorrow night and then I’ll rinse them off and air dry them in the fridge, exposed to firm up the skin. And on thanksgiving day, I’ll hit it all with my herb rub and some evoo and sneak a few pats of unsalted butter under the skin.

This is my first time using apple cider as my main brining liquid. I usually do orange pineapple concentrate into 5% salinity water with some herbs. I’m hoping this apple brine comes out good. I think it should from my reading over the last two weeks.

Cheers and a happy thanksgiving to all you here. Wishing you all wonderful times and new memories with people you love and enjoy being with. And for those you don’t like, well, that’s on them. And may these wars end quickly. We sure could use some peace on earth. I’ll stop right here.

1700633604591.jpeg

1700633618349.jpeg

1700633632483.jpeg

1700633646664.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought two 18# birds and cooking 1.5 birds for Thanksgiving which is our contribution to dinner for 25+ people. Others are making sides and a ham and more.

For my remaining half bird, I deboned the breast and wrapped and froze that and wrapped and froze the leg, thigh, wing and the part that goes over the fence last, all for future dinner cooks.

So, into a 5% brine, 1825 ml apple cider and 800 ml water, fresh crushed garlic, bay leaves, black pepper and two sliced oranges, one in each 2-gallon ziplock bag. The bags are mostly even with turkey pieces.

This will all marry until tomorrow night and then I’ll rinse them off and air dry them in the fridge, exposed to firm up the skin. And on thanksgiving day, I’ll hit it all with my herb rub and some evoo and sneak a few pats of unsalted butter under the skin.

This is my first time using apple cider as my main brining liquid. I usually do orange pineapple concentrate into 5% salinity water with some herbs. I’m hoping this apple brine comes out good. I think it should from my reading over the last two weeks.

Cheers and a happy thanksgiving to all you here. Wishing you all wonderful times and new memories with people you love and enjoy being with. And for those you don’t like, well, that’s on them. And may these wars end quickly. We sure could use some peace on earth. I’ll stop right here.

View attachment 82438

View attachment 82439

View attachment 82440

View attachment 82441
Sounds like it should be great!
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

I’m sure that won’t suck!! Hahaha!
What time is dinner? My family is mad because I want to eat at 3 so we can watch the Niners.

Interesting brine, hope it works out for you....you are already all in on the turkey.
Mapped the brine from other recipes here and online. Basically 2/3 apple cider, 1/3 water all to 5% salinity. The skin and meat will get an herb rub tomorrow morning before the bird hits the WSK. Will sear the skin to start the cook and then lower temps to 325°F to cook the bird, indirect and try to catch the drippings into a pan.

I’m sure that won’t suck!! Hahaha!
What time is dinner? My family is mad because I want to eat at 3 so we can watch the Niners.
We’re arriving at 4p and dinner service is at 5p. I’ll carve up the bird at the host’s house, around 430p. Drive time is 10 minutes.

Everyone there is a Niners fan. I like that we can wear logo wear and be all casual.

This could be the best Thanksgiving in eons with the Niners playing. How great would a win be on turkey day?!?!?!?

We’re bringing 27# turkey, a homemade cheesecake and some wine.

We like to graze through dinner. So the 5p start works well. I’m sure your dinner will be awesome.

Looks a treat! Made cornbread for dressing last night, will make that up with granddaughter and I’ll just guide her through the carrot soufflé. I will fire two grills, the Genny for melted sweet potatoes and the 22 for the porchetta. I figure the soufflé will need more careful attention and bringing the searingly hot sweet potatoes in from the grill can happen whenever.
this should be fun.
I have to add Chris and the TVWBB to my list of things I am thankful for this year, again!
I wish all of the members a Happy Thanksgiving!🦃

Skin tacked up nicely. Off to the WSK.

1700772998934.jpeg

1700773016871.jpeg

Cut some fresh rosemary

1700773045083.jpeg

27# fills the WSK. Thatsalotta turkey.

Temping the breasts with the Signals. Will goto 155° and then pull soon thereafter.

1700773125165.jpeg

A few minutes in on this cook. Started at 12:39 PST. Running JD, a little cowboy hardwood briqs and chunks of CA white oak.

1700773210658.png

Going to pull at 158° and then rest. The brine is keeping this all moist as I hear it cooking. Will probe the dark pieces for doneness. 175°F is my minimum for those.

1700780703437.png

Looking good! Taking a quick break from my cook to look at yours 🤣

I mostly took short videos of mine, so I’ll need to go back later in the week and pull some stills / take screenshots 😅

Back