26" charcoal grate diameter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
Could someone with a new 26" OTG please measure the diameter of the charcoal grate? I need to get a new grate for a 26" Bar-B-Q-Kettle and want to know if the new style will fit (I suspect it will but am covering the bases). Thanks!

Brad

Hi Brad,

The new 26" OTG grate is larger than the old 26" grate. In the old model, the grate sits down further in the bowl - which lessens the diameter. I have an old 26'r and my brother has the new 26" OTG - the new grill has about 1" greater diameter and will not sit on the tabs of the old 26'r. Weber still sells the grates for the older model - just make sure you explain to them what you have - not cheap though, I think around 60$.

If you have the old grate still, you could try cutting a circle of expanded sheet steel and tying it on whats left of the old grate with some wire.

That's good to know, Allen. My 26's cookgrate isn't in the greatest shape, either, so it might be worth looking into what would take to get the OTG cookgrate to fit.

Interesting that Weber apparently increased the distance between the 2 grates when the OTG was introduced. You should photograph your grill next to your brother's sometime!

Brad

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SteveF (Alpine):
21.75" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I knew it had to be close to this. I hate the way charcoal falls through the cracks so I usually get another charcoal grate and criss cross them in all my grills. In this case, I found that an old cooking grate for my 22.5 fit perfectly so I use that. It turned out to be a grate (har) way to recycle on old cooking grate that was headed for the trash.

I measured mine last night and it's 19.5" so a grate from a new 26" won't work.

Based on this thread it sounds like Weber might've raised the positions of both grates when the new model was designed.

Brad

Does anyone know where to buy a quality main grate for an old 26er? The link above doesn't work anymore.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JSMcdowell:
Shun that was a link to a member with an extra one. Guessing it was sold. Weber seems to be the only option </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks JS! Too bad they are sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back